Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters

Silkie Princess

Crossing the Road
Jun 24, 2021
Slovakia, Europe
My Coop
My Coop
Hi! I will be hatching in early spring because I am now left with only 4 laying hens after a fox attack. I am aware that they will not lay for quite a while. R.I.P my girls :hit I had 10 laying chickens and I am left with 4 now. I am thinking about what breeds should I get in spring. I want something pretty but also something that lays eggs. No bantams, please! I will be getting some of those later. I am thinking that the max should be like 12 birds that's it. I am also going to a poultry show on Saturday. So maybe I will find something that I like and buy them. Thanks!

I love my Barred Rock, she is talkative and friendly. She is very curious and totally rules the flock. She has been laying every day but 1 since the beginning of Sept.

And though not as pretty, another favorite in our flock is our White Leghorn. She loves to be held and lays daily.

We also have a Wyandotte (very pretty but standoffish and our only one not laying at 28 weeks), 3 Brahmas (much larger than I thought they would get and don't lay daily) and 2 Polish (which are cute and funny but don't lay daily)

I love my Barred Rock, she is talkative and friendly. She is very curious and totally rules the flock. She has been laying every day but 1 since the beginning of Sept.

And though not as pretty, another favorite in our flock is our White Leghorn. She loves to be held and lays daily.

We also have a Wyandotte (very pretty but standoffish and our only one not laying at 28 weeks), 3 Brahmas (much larger than I thought they would get and don't lay daily) and 2 Polish (which are cute and funny but don't lay daily)
I had 2 leghorns yesterday, today I only have 1 but I loved both of them very much. Leghorns have wonderful personalities🥰

Sorry that you lost your hens. Make sure you shore up your coop and run before buying new ones. Predators are sneaky.

As for breed, those are all good ones. Choose one or more that you find attractive but that are also practical as good layers.

Leghorns and Frisians are lighter weight and can be flighty, which might or might not be an asset. Lots of white eggs. Both those varieties will be expensive if you can find them.

Easter eggers lay those pretty colored eggs, and the birds themselves come in a cool range of colors, which is nice. Good layers, tough, and easy to care for.

Orps and Faverolles are big and fluffy, generally calm and gentle, and are good winter layers.

Welsummers lay those nice, dark eggs and are just an all around good breed.

Barnevelders are beautiful but generally only decent layers, in my experience. These can be expensive, too.

Wyandottes are pretty and easy to care for, laying light brown eggs, usually. Very winter hardy but they have a bit of a reputation for being bossy with gentler breeds.

Back
Top Bottom