Which one of these is most freindly/ your favorite?

Which one?

• Wyandotte

Votes: 38 7.0%
  • Salmon Faverolle

Votes: 35 6.5%
  • Easter Egger

Votes: 75 13.9%
  • Sultan

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • Orpington

Votes: 179 33.1%
  • Australope

Votes: 47 8.7%
  • Sussex

Votes: 30 5.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 36 6.7%
  • Cochin

Votes: 65 12.0%
  • Maran

Votes: 30 5.6%

• Total voters

I have many different kinds of hens but I keep coming back to the orps. They are just waddling masses of love somehow. Whether its the majestic blue English or the lovable Buff. I love them all. They make wonderful Moms too. They are not spectacular layers or the largest eggs , not the prettiest colored eggs. I just love the personalities I guess. The Easter eggers lay better, The Marians have beautiful eggs, The Delawares have great meat and the German NewHampshire Rooster are just spectacular looking and personality wise. It is a hard pick. All my hens have their special spots in my flock. I try to keep two or three roos. I don't always succeed . This yr, I was rooless by spring. A terrible place to be. Now I am growing out three kinds for fall choosing.

Some of my Marans are skittish, but my Blue Laced are both pretty friendly.

My Delawares are VERY friendly. All three just love to be held and they will actually hop up and down on my shoe trying to get me to pick them up if I am holding a different one.

The Buff Orpingtons I had were very friendly as well.

My Jersey Giant is reasonably friendly with me, but very aggressive with other chickens. Might be about to turn into a cockerel instead of the pullet I was sold. Or might just be huge and bossy.

The Golden Campine is very skittish but she is also picked on a lot as she is tiny compared to everyone else around here.

I have several in my flock that are my favorites. Bantam Cochin, golden laced polish, barred rock, D'Uccle, brahma. My least favorite in my flock was a golden laced polish roo. He has a new home now. My Turkens, Orpington, JGs, white rock, & Australorps prefer to be left alone but will come running for snacks to eat out my hand.

We have alot from blrw ees ameracuana slw dominickers barnvelders marans bb reds silkies phoenix rirs polish cochin all are spoilt rotten couldnt pick just one.

I can't decide if my barred rock or my black laced red Wyandotte is friendliest. They both like to ride on my shoulders and both fall asleep when I put them in my lap and pet them.

This is a tough poll, because there are many pleasant breeds to deal with, I had to vote orph though because mine are like big cuddly teddy bears that have adopted my 2 year old son into their flock.

I had to choose Polish. By far. I've owned most of the breeds listed here, and what others have listed. But when my polish died, I cried.

The fact that they are partially blinded by their crest means they will either trust you, or they won't. And if they get to the point of trusting you, they are SO friendly. Mine liked to stand on my feet when I was around. They would always come when I called them (and noise was one of their ways of finding me) and used me for protection from the roosters, sometimes.

But unfortunately, that inability to see became the undoing of my last two. One was somewhat crushed by my biggest roo (even though she was large fowl, she was still somewhat young) and the break was SO high and SO messy that there was no way it could be fixed. And the other was attacked the very next night by a raccoon.

I've never cried over a lost chicken until I lost those two. Now their roo is lonely, but I couldn't possibly live without the breed, so he's got six girls coming to him this spring!

Back
Top Bottom