1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which one should I keep?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by snewman, Sep 11, 2009.

1. snewman

snewman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2007
    Belleville, WI
    I have a male pekin from last year's batch of ducks and three males from this year's batch. I will be keeping a female from this year's batch and I'm wondering if I should keep the male from last year or cull him and keep one of the younger guys. Is this a "doesn't really matter" answer or is there a valid reason for one versus the other? My thinking is along the lines of; if I keep last year's drake, I can eat the ones from this year, but the the older guy might lose fertility sooner than if I keep a male and female both from this year. On the other hand, if I keep the young male and cull the old one, can I eat him? Is a 1 1/2 year old duck too tough to bother with? I don't want to waste a bird.

2. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    If you like to eat duck keep the older drake!

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    If the "old" drake is a nice duck and good to the girls, I say eat the younger ones. No sense taking a change on ending up with a mean drake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by