Which one to choose

fisttimerising

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 4, 2014
Hi to all ! This is our fist time rising chickens, we have 4 chickens and 1 Rooster ,,
One of our chicken is hatching , but all of the chickens sits in the same place to laid , How can i know which one is the hatching egg and which ones are good to keep

Thanks !

images

Kelsie has you on a good path with the link. The other eggs will be good as long as you collect them regularly so they don't get broken. And don't leave them over night. And yes, it is best to give a broody her own area, especially when the chicks hatch. The babies need to be kept separate from the other birds, until momma says they are ready to mingle.

Good luck with your flock and enjoy BYC!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You can mark the hatching eggs with a pencil so you know those are the ones to leave, and just keep collecting any new ones that are laid in the nest. You do have another nest for the other hens to lay in? I prefer to move the broody hens to their own nest or block off the one they are using from the other hens so they aren't bothered, but some people just leave them be. Here is a good BYC article on broody hens https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/broody-hens

Thanks for the info , yes Our coop has 3 different spaces where they can sit to lay but for some reason the all use the same one ,...
I will mark the ones they laid today and leave those there and collect the other ones.. but my concern is that she sits in all the eggs, the one she laid and the others chickens eggs as well,,

Will the other eggs get bad from her doing that ?

Thanks

Sound like typical hens, everybody wants the same box, funny how they do that. If you collect the new eggs at least once a day they will be fine to eat, I actually kinda like broody hens in this cold weather, it keeps the new eggs from freezing! Do you know how long she has been sitting? If she has been sitting awhile and you haven't been taking eggs out, you may already have eggs at different stages of development.

Welcome to BYC. Mark the eggs that you want incubated. Allowing the other hens to continue laying in the nest may result in fighting, cracked eggs, and reduced chances of success.

Hi Everybody ... Thank you so much for all the information you guys gave us.. We have a baby chick ,
one of our hen laid a pretty chick yesterday,. We are so excited ,.. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom