Which ones should i get?

rubyrogue

Songster
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
So in one of my coops my egg production is way way down. There are 12 hens and I am getting maybe 4 eggs a day. Two of the hens are broody(one raising babies the other sitting) so I can understand them not laying. So I am looking to replace them with some 3 month old pullets. I have my choice of barred ply. rocks, leghorns, or RIR. I sell my eggs at the farmers market. Right now I am selling eggs from my leghorns, sexlinks, and EE. Which breed would you get?

I would get a Leghorn, but that's just me. Sorry, I'm not helping you at all by saing "...but that's just me." LOL

Last edited:
I second above post. Plymouth Barred Rocks would be your best bet in the list you mentioned. They are friendly, wonderful birds who usually mature early and lay HARDILY! They lay through snow and mine have always been just great. I've heard Leghorns are flighty, and if you can get the same amount of production with a friendlier breed go for it
big_smile.png

are they the only ones available or the only ones your interested in? If you can you should think about Australorps. Really friendly, not flighty and lay extremely well.

They are the only started ones avail right now. my leghorns will run up for treats and thats about as friendly as they get. god forbid you try and touch them.

lol my silkies are like that but my other chooks love to be held. did you buy them as chicks?

I reckon the plymouth barred rocks, they will at least give you 200+ eggs a year, plus they are friendly and very pretty.

So I guess I will get the Barred rocks. What size eggs will they lay? I would love to add some buff orps but cant find any.

Back
Top Bottom