Which Orp roos to keep

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Katy, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Like everyone else I have a hard time deciding who to keep. There's a couple that I know I'm not keeping so I didn't take pictures of them.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][/img][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I like 4, 6, and 7 but just my oppion. Though I have 2 roosters and a hen and the roosters get along better than the hen and a rooster.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They are all nice, but I'd say #5 over #4 due to #4 having a longer back and #5 has nicer lacing. I like him. I'm no good at this, Katy-I love them all too much! I also like #6. How many are you keeping?

4. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Are you keeping them for breeding purposes or just for prettyness lol? I like #8 though, he so cute!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:#5 is one of my finalists......I'm not sure how many I'm keeping....more than one tho. I don't know about colors either.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Some of both [​IMG] I like #8 too. He's the biggest of the lot.

7. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Im with Cyn, I think #5 and #6 are the typiest.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Katy, # 8 has the golden brown eyes as opposed to dark brown, he is a beauty, but his eyes are not as desirable as the darker brown. Suede also has lighter eyes, but his ladies have very dark brown. Eye color isn't the hardest thing to overcome, but they say go for body type first, then eye color is easier to deal with.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Maybe I should just build a giant rooster pen and then I could keep all my extra BLRW and Orp roos!!!! Any volunteers to foot the feed bill for that pen!!?? [​IMG]

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I was going to ask....is #8's tail just too poufy/messy?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by