which predator makes this size hole?

Jo Anne

Songster
Feb 1, 2013
The other day I came home to the find the chickens hovering in the coop and one hiding in a small corner. There was a cluster of feathers on the ground. I noticed this hole in the ground and something about the size of a large fat rabbit, grey/brownish color
IMG_3189.jpg
ran out from under the deck and escaped thru the fence.

I noticed a hole in the ground (see pic) it is about 8 inches around,
Any idea what animal may have made this?

The other day I came home to the find the chickens hovering in the coop and one hiding in a small corner. There was a cluster of feathers on the ground. I noticed this hole in the ground and something about the size of a large fat rabbit, grey/brownish color
View attachment 1913866
ran out from under the deck and escaped thru the fence.

I noticed a hole in the ground (see pic) it is about 8 inches around,
Any idea what animal may have made this?

Where are you located? It does sound like the work of a woodchuck (groundhog). It would have scared the chickens but they are herbivores and not a threat to chickens. They are a PITA to get rid of. My Dobermans always did a fine job of it though!
You can trap them in a live trap and relocate. But they need a particular type of area to live in where they can burrow.

Are you missing a bird? Are there any injuries? A woodchuck injured a friend of my family's hawk that he used for hunting, so they will go after and possibly kill, but not eat a chicken if it felt threatened . I would trap it and kill it if it were that close to my girls.

could be a young coon or a feral cat, did it leave any prints that might help? any way if it was close enough and feathers pulled and flock terrified would live trap it so you can actually identify or we can, and deal with it so your flock doesn't live in fear.

did it dig under or climb over to get in? need to tighten security if it was after your hens

Nothing messes with the flock

I think groundhog too.We have a couple of groundhogs around but they have never bother the chickens. One did jump at them once but all of the chickens were around it and screaming. It got the chickens to back away and went about his day.

Back
Top Bottom