Which prefab tractor? Money is no object.

Thanks to everyone for all of the feedback!!

There are two reasons I wanted a movable tractor instead of a stationary run. One- Every stationary run I've visited was a barren ammonia pit. If I were a chicken I would want fresh grass and bugs to peck at. Just sayin. Two- I would much rather just move the tractor once or twice a week than clean up chicken poop. (Turns out I'm allergic to chicken feathers so I'd rather not spend a lot of time inside the run if possible.)

squad leader's tractor is AMAZING! I would be all over buying one of those if they were for sale. Building that masterpiece myself is just not possible. I know my limits.

Looks like Omelet has a very cute setup- The Cube EGLU with 4m run. I think it might be tight for 6 hens though.

Almost forgot....My land is a mix of pretty flat mowed area around the house (2-3 acres) and bumpy overgrown pasture 50-100yrds away from the house (3 acres.) I'd rather the chickens be in the pasture but the thought of them being so far from the house scares me. Surrounding all of this is 2000 acres of forest.....teeming with predators.

Thanks to everyone for all of the feedback!!

There are two reasons I wanted a movable tractor instead of a stationary run. One- Every stationary run I've visited was a barren ammonia pit. If I were a chicken I would want fresh grass and bugs to peck at. Just sayin. Two- I would much rather just move the tractor once or twice a week than clean up chicken poop. (Turns out I'm allergic to chicken feathers so I'd rather not spend a lot of time inside the run if possible.)

squad leader's tractor is AMAZING! I would be all over buying one of those if they were for sale. Building that masterpiece myself is just not possible. I know my limits.

Looks like Omelet has a very cute setup- The Cube EGLU with 4m run. I think it might be tight for 6 hens though.

I have Omlet cube, easily fit 6 chickens

Interesting. Really what you need is a secure place for the chickens at night as that is when the predators will be coming out. The problem with that is that is also the time when chickens roost and poop the most. The daytime isn't your issue as any tractor will do quite nicely. Finding one that will allow the droppings to fall while keeping predators out is the issue and I don't see a way thru it. Even a movable coop with quarter inch hardware cloth on the bottom will still catch poo but will keep predators out.

My recommendation would be to have a slab of cement or something else that is solid and flat the size of the tractor and make sure their isn't anything below their roosts to catch the poo. Move the tractor onto the slab every night to keep the predators out and move it to a patch of grass during the day. You can hose off the base as needed and still allow the girls a fresh piece of grass every day if you want.

You're absolutely right that the Eglu is too small.

If at all possible, I wish you could visit a nearby BYC member's coop who uses Deep Litter and see what it's like in person because it's really so amazing it's hard to believe something so easy works so well with almost zero effort.

My DL coop and run have pretty much no flies and no smell at all. I have never cleaned it out and don't ever plan to. I've had people who don't keep chickens visit and they are blown away by how effective it is.

DL allows aerobic microorganisms to breakdown poop and turn it into nice earthy smelling compost for your garden.

There are many great threads on it here. Just search for Deep Litter Compost or DL.
This is a start:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/results-from-first-year-with-deep-litter-method.643302/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/deep-litter-method.70/page-216#post-17716868

My daughter received 6 chicks for her birthday. We've got about three weeks until we are going to need to move them outside. I'm thinking a tractor is the ideal way to go. We have plenty of land (12 acres), but LOTS of predators including weasels. I want the very best Fort Knox of chicken tractors. I don't care what it cost. I will pay anything to not have these chicken killed. I've called around to coop builders in my state and they either can't get it done in 3 weeks or don't build tractors, only coops. Does anyone have recommendations for a good tractor I can buy online. I have been looking at this one from ChickenCondos.com, but it doesn't appear to be weasel proof.
This may have been covered already and since money is no object let me save you some. Click on the following link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/tractor-coops.17/
Find one you like and either build it yourself, or hire a contractor if you are really stinking rich, or craigslist up a handyman for yourself to give you a quote on building a tractor acceptable to all parties involved. I would definately take weight into account and moving the thing around either by a riding lawnmower or human muscle power as they can get quite heavy. Best Wishes and please make your daughter's day with such a wonderful gift! Welcome to BYC!

If you build it with your own two hands I am sure it will be greatly appreciated by your daughter. But if money really isn't an issue go over the top and build a ft squaks as well look at our "Articles" button and build her one of our coops found under "Large Coops" any chicken keeper would love to have 4x the coop space they need. Just ensure it is safely wired for electricity too! Water is always appreciated in or near the coop as well.

Last edited:
Here is a really big one. They might overstate capacity but there's still something there for you. Needs anti dig skirts.
https://www.smokymountainchickentractors.com/jumbo-coops/
Screenshot_20180228-185213.jpg

I have an Omlet Cube with 3m run & I like it for my 3 hens. But I think 6 would be tight.

It's great for moving around flat areas but wouldn't be so great for bumpy pasture. With 6 hens you'd probably want to move it at 2x a week if you don't want bare patches.

You want to think about how convenient it is for you too. If the pasture is far, it can be a pain to go every day to check their feed & water, & collect eggs.

It comes with "roosts" that are slotted so the poop falls down onto a pullout tray. It's all plastic so pretty easy to clean. Also because it's plastic, it doesn't wear out like wood does. I'm in Oregon so the rain here really does a number on coops. Probably less concerning in NC.

It kept coyotes, raccoons & hawks out, but mice & rats can get in, unless you add 1/2" hardware cloth around the bottom.

Would you move it around yourself or have someone help you? You could also get the Cube but instead of the extended run, get the Walk in run & just keep the Cube inside that. Then there's more height where you could add some branches or other things for them to hang out. I don't have it so I don't know how hard it is to move but it's probably a little bulky just because it's tall -- human height.

Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom