Which rooster, Barred Rock or Rhode Island Red?

I think each rooster has its own personality. I would suggest looking on craigslist in your area for people giving away or selling roosters cheaply. Go take a look at the rooster and observe how it behaves. If it is calm and not attacking the hens, then that may be the rooster you are looking for.

Ditto this... although, I'd first check on the Where am I/Where are You board for your area. There may be a fellow BYCer with an extra roo (or three) that would serve your purposes nicely.
I think each rooster has its own personality. I would suggest looking on craigslist in your area for people giving away or selling roosters cheaply. Go take a look at the rooster and observe how it behaves. If it is calm and not attacking the hens, then that may be the rooster you are looking for.

Last edited:
I have barred rock roosters and find them to be quite friendly. a docile bird of good size and he takes care of his girls too. I'd go with a barred rock..

A mean or aggressive rooster is not breed specific. You can get a mean one from ANY breed. I will say though, I have heard that hatchery stock tends to be more aggressive than breeder quality stock.

I agree. It seems like many people (not all though) that say they have had a mean RIR was from hatchery stock. I have had 4-5 different RIR roosters over the past 2-3 yrs and have only ran into one that had somewhat of a attitude problem. He sure was good lol
lau.gif
But i have had a couple BR roosters too and they werent ever mean, but they werent near as friendly as the RIR either though. I think aggressiveness is a thing that is passed from parents to offspring. That is why so many hatchery birds (especially RIR) carry that trait. All in all its your decision
smile.png

I agree with those that have said the aggressive/gentle behavior is not breed specific. That being said, I can tell you that the worst roosters I've ever had were all RIR roosters. I did have a wonderful Cuckoo Marans rooster, he was very gentle and a great protector for my girls. I ended up having to get rid of him, however, because while he was very gentle with adults, he attacked my two year old son very badly.

I think looking at already mature roosters is a very good idea. I've had groups of chicks, all handled the same, that end up having VERY different attitudes towards people once they are grown. Also, I've had very gentle young roosters that get so mean you can hardly believe it once those hormones kick in at around 6 - 9 months of age :p

Good luck finding the right guy for your flock!

I have a barred rock rooster that is friendly enough to me. Does not attack, but does not approach for picking up or petting either. That can only create problems if they are young. I would get a barred rock rooster that is over 1 year and has never shown aggression.

Back
Top Bottom