Which rooster breed?

I didn't know your Malays were nice. From my experience, Malays would always kick the living hell out of me.
I just got Malays, & that's what other sources, & the breeder I got mine described them being like.

Where did you get yours? It could be due to the inheritance of the roosters they used.

I would wait until this group is like 10 weeks old, then clean out the brooder and get 3-4 more chicks, including your rooster. Brooder-raised boys without older chickens to teach them manners have a higher chance of being aggressive, which can be totally devastating to the peace and health of your flock.

I'd also go with a smaller breed to reduce incidence of injury. I adore Brahmas (and roosters, for that matter), but our Brahma rooster nearly killed a couple of hens just with his weight. Everyone says the hens can handle it, but that wasn't the case with us.

That's just my 2¢. Not sure if that advice works for you, but I really, really wish I'd heard it before setting up our first flock, so figured I'd at least float it your way. Have so much fun with your chicks. It sounds like a pretty flock!
I cringe every time my friend mentions getting a big black Jersey Giant rooster for his small flock of Dominique hens(the hens usually weigh 5 lbs)

Back
Top Bottom