which rooster do we keep?

willisfarm

In the Brooder
May 7, 2017
We currently have 4, 3 month old roosters. They are all the same breed, cream legbar, however one of them does not look anything like the other 3 boys, he looks more like a bantam. Anyways, they are all fairly friendly, and don't fight much at all, yet.... we have one that is like a dog that we are for sure keeping, and can't decide if we should keep more, them all, or only one!!?? I hate to see them go... how manyou is to many? We have 12 hens . Thanks!

I'd say 2 max for 12 hens, but honestly, if you want to keep all 3 and they don't fight, go for it. Add more hens as they grow older. Or just keep your one lap baby and let home be an extremely happy rooster.

I have 8 roosters, they all get along fine except for the occasional quarrel. We have around 15 hens. I say if they space is right you can keep all 3! I am planning on giving away atleast 2 of the roosters however because they end up pulling too many feathers out of my hens! I can't decide which ones either as they are all my babies! ☺️

Hello,

I suggest waiting a bit until any fighting starts.
When and if it does, the fight starter should be the first to go.

Then also, the ratio for hens to rooster?
4-8 hens a rooster, that's the best luck I've had.

Or like the others say above. 12 hens with 1 rooster.
If you have too many roosters like 5 r - 5 h, then if ya ask me...

You should start a rooster flock.
I hope this helps! Good luck!!

-The Angry Hen

I'm not a fan of having one of anything! Haha! Ok, ok, sometimes it's necessary to cut back. I do like to have more than one rooster. If you have more than one of quality, and they get along, keep them. I can't tell you how many people I've seen in a bind because their one rooster fell dead.

Check out the legbar threads/clubs to get an idea of the proposed SOP, if you are interested in breeding to a standard. I have to look at that stuff constantly to make sure the image in my mind is still moving in the right direction to improve my flock.

The one on theach left is the one I'm having a hard time believing it's a cream legbar

Attachments

• 20170531_160755.jpg
    20170531_160755.jpg
    773.5 KB · Views: 18

Back
Top Bottom