Which rooster should be culled?

Roosters change over time but one thing I have observed that stays consistent. An aggressive to humans rooster never seems to get any better. I'm going to have to agree that "at this time" your Orp is a better choice. And yeah, todays sweetie pie can be tomorrows nightmare bird.
Be mentally prepared to stew pot him later as well.
If you are going to keep a rooster with your flock you have to be emotionally ready to cull that rooster and not get overly attached to him. Young roos can be awkward and clumsy with hens until they learn better (or not), hens have their favorites also and will flock to that favorite even if he's a bad rooster. (sound familiar? Just like teen girls sometimes go for the bad kid) But I'd Never, EVER keep a rooster that attacks humans. They can do some serious damage and while your child may be old enough to avoid the Maran if you had a young child visit you could have a disaster in the making.

My favorite roo was a buff.he was large, protective and nice- he’ld be my choice. I hated my mean roo that replaced him. Hated to swat him and always be on the lookout.

I would keep the Maran and eat the younger one for 2 reasons.

1. At 9 months old the Maran will be too tough for roasting and only good for stew. At 5 months old they are still good for roasting.

2. The Maran is clearly protective. When I first started with chickens I loved my rooster. He is great with the hens and people. He has such a sweet personality. Then the fox got into my chicken run. My rooster hid at the very top of the 8' high coop and left the hens to fend for themselves in the run. Luckily I went outside to lock up the chickens for the night and walked in on the situation before any hens were injured. I am hoping that a couple of my new cockerels turn out to be aggressive as opposed to my useless (but sweet) old cock. I have seen videos on YouTube on how to put a rooster in his place and put an end to the aggressiveness towards humans. I would recommend taking that approach instead.

Do let us know what you decide!

So we have decided to cull the Buff and keep the Maran.
Update on the Maran though. I have red hair and usually it isn’t covered when I am out with the chickens. He runs up on me only. I had someone suggest that I might seem like a bigger rooster due to the red hair. I have tried going out with my hair covered now. He is now about 85% less aggressive towards me. 🤦‍♀️

Funniest thing to me.

Update on the Maran though. I have red hair and usually it isn’t covered when I am out with the chickens. He runs up on me only. I had someone suggest that I might seem like a bigger rooster due to the red hair. I have tried going out with my hair covered now. He is now about 85% less aggressive towards me. 🤦‍♀️

Funniest thing to me.

The color of your clothes or your hair is not an excuse for a rooster to attack The Giant Who Brings Food. :(

We had an aggressive rooster. We tried different methods of "rehabbing" him and they didn't work. We knew we had to cull him and we kept putting it off, cause we really didn't want to kill him.
My husband was working on a ladder one day and that rooster came after him. My husband wasn't even in their area. Thankfully my husband had a board in his hand and was able to defend himself which left the rooster dead at the bottom of the ladder. He could have caused my husband to have a serious accident.
The rooster was a year and half old by then. He was a Welsummer. I'm not exaggerating when I say that he made the best soup. We couldn't get over how good it was. Bad roosters make good soup.

Funniest thing to me.
I think you have made the correct decision in this highly debated topic. That is super interesting that things have changed from covering your hair! I will keep that in mind if I ever find myself with a troublesome roo! Check out this video on how to tame an aggressive rooster...

My opinion would be to find him a home. I don't know how anyone can kill their chickens.
I am fine with culling evil roosters or bully hens. I just can't do it myself.
sometimes you can auction the bad chickens off, or do the "neighbor gifting" method (where you find a person around that has chickens and drop off the chicken when they are not home). We thought about doing that; in the end, Gaston (formerly known as Chanticleer) turned into chicken dinner. killing a bad chicken is not a horrible thing to do, you just have to have the heart to do it, or to ask someone else to do the dirty deed. I always try to find a home for my bad roosters though, because we don't always have enough room in the freezer to store them.

or do the "neighbor gifting" method (where you find a person around that has chickens and drop off the chicken when they are not home).
You should never dump one of your chickens on your neighbor’s property. That is animal dumping and it is illegal and also highly irresponsible.

If your chickens have a disease you weren’t aware of you could be compromising their whole flock. Also, an aggressive rooster which they don’t know about is dangerous to them, especially if they have small children. What happens when one of their kids walks outside and suddenly gets attacked by a rooster that they didn’t know was there?

Your unwanted birds are not your neighbor’s responsibility.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom