Which rooster should be culled?

Pics
(where you find a person around that has chickens and drop off the chicken when they are not home).

This is a DEEPLY immoral, unethical, and irresponsible act. :mad:

It is also illegal in many areas.

Part of deciding to keep chickens in the first place is committing to dealing with your own problems rather than dumping them on other people.

the "neighbor gifting" method (where you find a person around that has chickens and drop off the chicken when they are not home).

I would not do that without getting permission first.

And if I did have permission, it would make more sense to drop off the chicken when they are home, to save them the bother of catching a loose chicken.

It could make sense to trade mean roosters with someone else-- so each person could butcher one rooster, but not the one they were fond of.

So we have decided to cull the Buff and keep the Maran.
Update on the Maran though. I have red hair and usually it isn’t covered when I am out with the chickens. He runs up on me only. I had someone suggest that I might seem like a bigger rooster due to the red hair. I have tried going out with my hair covered now. He is now about 85% less aggressive towards me. 🤦‍♀️

Funniest thing to me.
It occurred to me today to ask if you wear shiny things into the coop? I ask because my hens and roos all peck at me if I hold my hands still too long (like while taking pics) because they cannot resist my shiny silver rings. Perhaps this issue may be contributing to your issue with the Maran.

Back
Top Bottom