Which Rooster Should I Keep?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by montyhp, Apr 2, 2012.

1. montyhp

montyhp Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2008
    South Texas
    This weekend is processing weekend for all the males from the batch of straight run heavies I got from Ideal on 7 December. I will process the old rooster and some of the old hens from our current flock that has slowed way down on laying. In the batch of heavies I got two ameraucana roos. I would like to keep one because they are good looking birds (no female ameraucanas unfortunately). However, both ameracaunas are very skittish and run away immediately when I approach. When I pick them off the roost they struggle and squawk.

I also got a buff orpington roo that always comes up to me. Although he doesn't willing let me pick him up, when I catch him he is docile and looks intelligent and inquisitive.

So what do you think. Should I keep an ameraucana or should I keep the orp?
  2. BlanchardOK

BlanchardOK Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    Blancahrd OK
    orp 100%
  3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Chicken Obsessed

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    You don't say how old your roos are. There are a lot of threads on here how the pet Rooster can become aggressive towards humans, as they have no fears of humans, and want to be the alpha roo.

I have an Americana, he is doing a fine job, but I could not, nor ever have been able to walk up and pick him up like a pet. He is a little nervous of me, and keeps a distance, which is what he and I want.

So I would go with one of those. MrsK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by