Which rooster to keep?

snick4zoo

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 26, 2015
Southeastern WI
I received 8 straight run chicks in the Spring and 4 of them are roosters. They are just 16 weeks old and I know now is time I should do something. I have two Isbar and two silver laced Wyandottes. I know who is the alpha but is that the one I want to keep. I also know who is at the bottom of the totem pole. Personality wise they are all pretty much the same, docile towards me and my kids. They are all beautiful but I know a 1:1 ratio to hens will not work out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated? TIA!!

It really depends on why you're keeping a a cockerel. If you're doing so to later breed and you wish to sell chicks - I'd go with the one that was marked/developed the best according to the Standard of Poultry. If you're keeping one just for entertainment value, and trust me, there's a lot - as well as to help protect the flock, I'd pick the one that's the best developed/mature and seems to be taking on the role naturally.

I had 4 GLW cockerels and 5 GLW pullets I got about the same time - I had one of the boys that developed better than the other three and really stood out in comparison to the others. Once he was introduced to my older girls, he took right off with being Mr. In-Charge. Flirted, watched, even saved a RIR I had marked for the freezer for being a bully. He straightened her out to the point she no longer bullies the other girls.

It can be hard to cull out the best of the flock, but it's all part of chicken math. Most people think it's just adding to the flock..but no, there's subtraction as well. Post some pics if you like and I'm sure the community will make comments on which one looks best. In the end tho, I'd go with a combination of looks/personality/how well does he do rooster things.

Looks are one thing, but feathers really can hide a lot.you need to pick them up, check the legs, the placement of the spurs, look for straight toes. Feel the breast, which of the four feels fullest. Weigh them, thrifty birds do well on less, a good trait. Check thei sculls, and beaks. They need to be perfectly aligned. Check the left side to right side, need to evenly match. Measure between the wings.

And do go to the sop, it will have good advice.

Mrs.K

Also, when I am in this dilemma, there generally is one or two, that are a no, cull them first, and if you can wait a while, then cull again. Sometimes when you clear out the numbers it is easier to see.

Back
Top Bottom