1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which rooster would you keep? Or neither? [PICS]

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NeeleysAVLChicks, Nov 11, 2010.

1. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Ok, so I have the following (or will be adding to the flock shortly) hens...

NHR
    BO
    BR
    BC Marans
    Welsummer
    SLW
    Olive Eggers
    EE
    Ameraucana
    Wheaten Maran

My goal is not necessarily to bred true, but to create some fun mixes that will result in funky egg colors, maybe sell a few as colored egg laying mixes, but mostly to replenish my stock. My customers LOVE colorful eggs (we barely get a chance to eat any AND we have a waiting list) and will pay a pretty penny (ie $4 a dozen) for them.

Here are the two young roosters we have right now. They are both pretty equal in terms of personality. My question is, with my goals in mind, which one of these guys would you keep? Or should I hold out for my next hatch and hope for rooster? (superb quality BC Maran, Wheaten Maran, Olive Egger and Ameraucana)

Rooster A: 2nd Generation Olive Egger, hatched from a nice, dark olive egg.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rooster B: EE/Ameraucana, hatched from a nice blue egg.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thoughts? Thanks for your input!!

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I would keep both and get a couple dozen more but I have been known to have too many roosters...

3. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

Rooster B: EE/Ameraucana, hatched from a nice blue egg should have the best chance to pass on the blue egg gene to his offspring. Plus, I like his muffs:)

4. BuffaloWings

BuffaloWings Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Agreed keep 'em both. They are both interesting colored. Plus, you have the possiblity of olive eggs and blue eggs. Use them as an excuse to get more hens![​IMG]

5. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    [​IMG] both

6. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    I say both too! But if you can't the second is very pretty! [​IMG]

7. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

$4.00 a dz! Wow!

There so many folks here selling Fresh Eggs that I could sell tie dyed eggs and wouldn't get that much! [​IMG]
    I vote keep them both,. more egg color choices,.. but if it HAS to be just one,. I would go with the second one,. for the blue eggs.

8. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    I agree, I would keep both but if it could only be one then the second one [​IMG]

9. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    [​IMG] If you absolutly have to choose just one, i would go with the EE. But if you have enough hens, keep both.

10. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Agreed with the rest of the responders, keep both if you can! If they get along and aren't harassing the hens, there's room for two. [​IMG] I absolutely love the color on the second fellow, though. Both very handsome guys. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by