Which rooster?

wwdubose

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2013
East Texas
I'm just starting my flock and my three day old chicks arrive today! I'm getting three each of Australorp, Red Star, Barred Plymouth Rock, Buff Orpington, and Silver Laced Wyandotte. If I ever decide to get a rooster and wanted to match up with one of those five breeds, which would you recommend and why?

Not sure which one I would choose but I know which one I wouldn't. The red star would be a no. They are a cross bred bird and don't breed true. I would probably go with the australorp because I think they are cool looking and would handle my climate well but so would the others.

I would go with the buff orpingtons and barred rocks. The buffs are broody and good mommies. And as I understand, so are the rocks. Of course I'm biased, as all I have are these two breeds. Wonderfully calm chickens.

I'd go with a buff orp. Orpingtons are wonderful birds. SO docile if you get them from the right place. I do breed them, so if you are interested, message me.

Yes, before getting a rooster I would wait how many you already have. Getting a rooster isn't hard, getting rid of of one the harder....

Clackclack

As soon as they start putting on feathers for buff orpingtons and barred rocks. The easiest way to tell is the pullets grows tail feathers much sooner than rooster.

You have some signs very early, like at 1-2 weeks, that you've got a roo.

Who's the biggest, who's the most upright in stance, who has more color in the comb and waddles, who's the bully, who kicks and screams the longest when you pick it up? All indicators of perhaps a rooster. Another thing to watch for is differences between the 3 in each breed group. Different feathers, different body shape, different shape of comb, different color , different rate of growth. You'll have a pretty good idea long before she starts to crow.

Back
Top Bottom