Which roosters are best?

What roosters are best?

• Total voters
I gotta agree hit or miss. Had one for like 7 years, was culled because he started grabbing hands. My current one likes to give warning pecks if youre feeding or watering him, espeically if you wear black gloves.

D'uccles are a hit or miss too. I had two mille fleur males years ago that were freaking horrible. Had to go to the show table in leather gloves with this bird who had latched onto the thumb once. My Gold necks were much calmer so far, waiting for that year mark though which is when the fleurs seemed to suddenly turn

@roosterhavoc would know more about the games, maybe the Malay too

Silkies are usually tolerant. I have one named David, who is dumb as a rock though and puts up with being chased all over by a different male.

Pheonix..... I love my 3 pheonix males. No human agressive ones so far, great alarmers when hawks are around, just stunning birds. They need roosts though or they'll be miserable.

I had an ayam cemani cockerel a few years ago. Skittish AF. And delicate. He constantly needed more vitimin E and ended up clothelining himself one night.

Polish are okay. I have one now named LoudBoy for obvious reasons. He's still tolerant of other males and people so far, have yet to see him try to breed though and hes from last April.

EEs and FEEs are the same, just with dark skin on one variety. I don't technically have those, but my Ameraucana mixes all are tolerant males and good laying females.

Sultans are very temperature sensitive, I've heard

Cochins..... they're a hit or a miss. Had 6 males go through puberty here this year for bantams (no clue about standards). 1 was an AH before i even knew it was a he. 2 were okay towards people but awful towards the other birds, male and female alike. 1 had a tough start but got better. 2 are pretty chill though they do issue warning pecks when being pet so you know they're still in charge.

My orpington males are skittish AF, but large, beautiful birds.

Don't know about seramas or anyone else i skipped over
Malays, have actually been great, & are like dogs, begging for snacks. Their stare, & tilted heads are cute.

Silkies, I only have one that's less intelligent then the others, which is the blue partridge rooster I have, he's from Showstock. My other, non show types, are smart, but also semi wild.

I have had one Mille Fleur D'uccle rooster along time ago, that would beat up on me.

EEs, are also nice, abit shy though.

But do they get along well with other roosters in a flock as adults? It sounds like OP is planning to just have a single large flock
No fighting is going on with Malays, who are turning 10 months on the first of February, the females can be quite the bullies, more than the males.

Back
Top Bottom