Which silverudds blue cockerel should we keep?

Ylva

Songster
Jun 3, 2021
Norway
We have three silverudds blue cockerels, but we can keep only one. All of them are (still) gentle towards people, each other and the pullets. They are 3,5 months old. Which one should we keep?

0156C620-B200-434F-A6BF-78EA1F4EFED3.jpeg

AFE4C3B9-35B3-43C6-9C79-FA234BA5D45F.jpeg

C9E5235A-754B-4C4F-9A5D-C9887737EA7E.jpeg

0BA8BD76-8E30-4754-AC3D-C2517370138B.jpeg

I don't know that breed well enough to give breed-specific recommendations, but here are some ideas that can work with any breed:

Pay attention to temperament (I notice you're already doing this).

Pick up each one and give him a thorough physical checkup. Check for things that are harmful to the bird (like crossed beak) and things that are just undesireable (like a crooked tail) and even for things that could be treatable (like bumblefoot). You may find a good reason not to keep one or another of them.

Weigh them, and think about how heavy the breed is supposed to be, and which one comes how close to that weight.

If you raised them from chicks, think about whether any of them needed special care as a chick (maybe one had pasty butt and the other two didn't.)

Check breed-specific things, including leg color (I notice some variation there, but I don't know what the breed standard is). Body shape and feather color are also very important to many breeds.

Think about how quickly they have matured. You might want the one that started crowing or mating at the youngest age, or you might decide that some other points are more important to you.

If you intend to breed, think about whether there are specific traits that are most needed in your flock, and whether any of the cockerels is especially good or bad in those areas.

Back
Top Bottom