Which to get Cayugas or Call Ducks?? Help!

I don't have experience with call ducks but I recently received 2 cayugas from another BYCer in my area and they are wonderful - big, beautiful, quiet and entertaining to watch.

If noise levels are a factor at all for you, I would definitely recommend cayugas.

Mine are a little pushy with my hens (they're living in the same pen at the moment) but not overly so - the chickens respect that the ducks are larger and give them a wide berth!

Good luck!
smile.png

I just found out my local Call breeder is selling her flock, and wont have eggs or ducklings now!! I'm so bummed because I was really looking forward to it this Spring. When I talked to her in February she said she would have eggs available by late March, and didn't mention any thoughts of selling her flock.

If anyone from Illinois or Wisconsin is interested she is selling them all together, 10 calls for $60.

It sounds like a great deal, but I want ducklings in hopes that they will bond better with me and wont fly away.

Last edited:
if you raise them from ducklings they shouldn't take off. Ours get out sometimes and go straight for our pond. We haven't had one fly off and never come back, just lucky I guess. We have one little call drake that gets out all the time and all he wants to do is chase the big standard duck ladies......lol

I have 5 flying mallards and one appleyard-mallard hen. 5 can fly very well, but other than taking 2-3 laps around the house each morning, they never fly away.

One took a weekend-hiatus to a neighboring pond and came home wounded and limping on Monday. Landed right in front of me with a look that said, "Mom, it's so good to see ya."
He must have quacked his adventure story to others, because now none of them ever offer to leave the farm & me, "the lettuce lady".
big_smile.png

We have lots of hawks but none have ever bothered the ducks yet. We have a guardian German Shepherd, and that might be why. He doesn't eat duck or chicken, but he does like to "chase" every once in a while and it is helpful that they can fly when needed.

Whichever ducks you choose, you will enjoy them. They are very personable little characters.

Thank you so much for your input everyone!

I eneded up getting Pekin eggss that are in the bator right now. Im trading Graphic Design- a Farm logo, to a breeder and he shipped me Pekin eggs. This is my very first hatch so I decided not to go with Calls since they are hard to hatch. Ill have a hard enough time with hatching for the first time so Ill do Calls when I know more. Cayugas are next though!

Back
Top Bottom