Which to treat first? Splay, or curled toes?

BuckeyeFoodie

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 29, 2013
Columbus, OH
Hi all,

I just hatched out my first batch of the year, and one of my Ayam Cemani chicks has two curled feet, AND a minor splay.

I had the curled toes in sandals overnight, and they are about 50% better, but the chick still isn't walking around. I tried to correct the minor splay at the same time, but it was all too much for such an itty bit. I've since taken everything off, and the baby tries to walk, but is still pretty tired.

Oh, and I am feeding a mix of poultry nutri-drench and vitamin b from a syringe to help give the baby a boost.

So which do I treat first? I'm about to head off to work, so baby is going to have 12 hours of peace before I start poking again...

Are you sure the curled toes isn’t slipped tendon?

Only asking because my first chick with slipped tendon curled it’s toes considerably. Once I found out it was a slipped tendon, it was too late to correct.

I had one with curled toes but didn't correct it, now she's all grown up with her toes curled every which way....... doesn't seem to bother her though. I call her, "Jerri Curl".

Honestly i would just cull it. Most likely its a result from remaining in the egg too long after pipping. Or it could be genetic. If this is your first hatch out of more hatches to follow I wouldn't take the time to mess around with it.

Back
Top Bottom