Which vaccine(s) to get??

Stephanie8806

Songster
5 Years
Feb 18, 2019
Central Washington State
Hello there! This spring I will be hatching eggs from a small farm and I’m so excited! One aspect I want to be prepared for, however, is vaccination.

Our current flock were all live chick purchases from our local farm supply store(mixed varieties from the “big” hatcheries), and already vaccinated... I’m assuming for Mareks but I don’t know.

What vaccines should I get to have on hand for our hatch? What brand, and for what diseases?

Our flock are let out to free range almost daily, so the chickens would likely come into contact with a wide variety of wild birds(including quail, grouse, chukar, and turkey). They are nowhere near any other domestic birds from other homes. Our chickens aren’t necessarily pets, as they are rotationally raised for eggs and meat, so not long term residents... but I still don’t want them to die of diseases if they can be easily prevented!

I'm curious of this also.
When I hatch my own or allow a broody to hatch some, I don't vaccinate them. But I also purchase chicks from a local feed store and these are already vaccinated.

I'm curious of this also.
When I hatch my own or allow a broody to hatch some, I don't vaccinate them. But I also purchase chicks from a local feed store and these are already vaccinated.

I’m hoping to get a few roosters from our hatching, because then we can hatch our own mixes under a broody hen if we have one. I know there are chances of chicks getting exposed to diseases before I vaccinate them, but I’m sure it’s probably worth it to do. Better safe than sorry, I suppose 🤷🏼‍♀️

As someone who hatches backyard chicks, I have opted against vaccinating mine for Mareks. Mareks vaccine is "leaky" which means it wont actually prevent your bird from contracting Mareks; it just prevents your bird from getting sick (in a perfect world - obviously nothing is foolproof) but allows them to carry and spread the disease.

Since the vaccine has to be given to day old chicks (or in ovo) and the medication isnt shelf stable once its mixed (i.e. you cant save the doses you dont use), I dont consider it a viable option for me, as I would have to vaccinate every single clutch at the price of a bottle regardless of size if I'm going to vaccinate any, and my adult unvaccinated birds would be at additional risk.

Just my opinion. Tons of people obviously opt to vax for Mareks.

I havent considered the coccidiosis vaccine because feeding amprolium feed just seems easier. & I actually dont know what other vaccines are out there.

Thank you for your feedback! I may not end up vaccinating them, but I figured I should look into it and get some feedback from the community here! Do you know where to find the vaccines for purchase? I want to see what the prices even are, and how many doses a bottle has, etc.

There have got to be more people who have an opinion on this topic. They must not have seen it yet.

I do not know. I'd start with google and amazon.

I think maybe people aren’t checking as much right now? Not prime time for new chicken questions I guess

Most of us don't vaccinate at home, that's why. I wouldn't be comfortable giving injections myself.

As far as cost and doses, Marek's vaccine can only be bought in something like 1000x dose increments, which is why it's generally not done from home hatches. A quick google of "chicken marek's vaccine" brought up several vendors.

Back
Top Bottom