Official BYC Poll: Which waterer is better: Nipples or cups?

Which waterer is best for less mess?

• Total voters
Pics
I have to say, I am really enjoying seeing everyone's solutions!
I'm a few weeks out from having the coop/run finished, so I'm going to have to get put something together soon.

I'm really curious about this system from Al Capon - it's a cool setup:
  • Why have it in this shape?
    • Is it just for volume?
  • What's going on at the bottom with the extra drainage line?
    • Is that so you can flush the system?

Royal Rooster poultry cups are what I use.

Yhhzerb.jpg

I'm really curious about this system from Al Capon - it's a cool setup:
  • Why have it in this shape?
    • Is it just for volume?
Mostly just for volume. I wanted something that I could affix tight to the side of the coop without it hanging way out in space. The 3" PVC rests nicely on the piece of modified angle iron that's mounted to the post, everything is held tight in place with stainless hose clamps. Volume of this set-up is right at 3.5 gallons. I can fill it and be gone for a couple of days if I need to. I wish I would have used "crosses" instead of a "tees", would have increased my capacity up to almost 5 gallons, but those 3" PVC tees get pricey.
  • What's going on at the bottom with the extra drainage line?
    • Is that so you can flush the system?
Exactly. I foresee algae/mosquitoes/mildew/etc. setting up shop before Summer is out. I can fill it with some bleach water to kill all the nasties every so often and drain/flush everything clean again with the valves.

Last edited:
Don't let them get near rigid foam insulation either. They are magicians and will make it disappear.
Bud of mine filled some cracks in his brooder room with that can foam, not thinking. The 8 week old chicks seem to think it's fun to peck and eat bits of it, makes a neat sound when they hammer it with their beaks. They've made a bunch of it disappear in the last month, I guess if it was going to harm them, it would have done so already.

Temperatures get over 100F here 20 or so days each summer. My flock does fine with vertical nipple water systems.
I live in Louisiana so you know how hot it gets here! My chickens do fine on the nipples. I've never had an issue with them dehydrating. I have it on pvc pipes and the pipe is attached outside the coop so even my children can fill it up without going into the coop. I personally love it, but I guess it's my opinion. Everybody is going to do what works for them. What works for me may not work for you.

Cups! Always have backups around just in case, but cups have served me well. And I love watching 4-5 take turns drinking from a single cup- they clearly get plenty. Baby chicks are surprisingly good-at them almost always by 2 weeks old, sometimes younger.

The main thing if you do a bucket set up - like screwing the cups right into the bucket- don't lift that bucket while it's got water in it. It will stretch and distort the cup tap holes which will create leaks. Always have a drain at the bottom so you can change the water without potentially ruining the bucket.

Thanks everyone for their opinions. I am going to use the HN on a food grade (BPA free) 5 gl plastic bucket. I will dig under the bucket and fill the hole with gravel or use a few concrete/cinder block or stepping stones to minimize mud. I don't have chickens yet, I have a used/new to me coop. I'm waiting for the rain to stop so I can clean/scrub the inside, and build the run.

Back
Top Bottom