Which Waterer?

that_crazy_lady

Crowing
13 Years
Nov 13, 2008
Salina, OK
Before I go spending money I thought I’d ask around... what sort of waterer are good for a flock of 30+ layers that are being kept/moved in electric netting? I’m probably going to have to carry water most of the time.
I saw those buckets with the little spouts (I guess you would call them) I thought that was a neat idea. But idk. I’m open to whatever. I’m starting fresh after being birdless for 8-10 years. And I’d like to put my best foot forward this time around.

Do you have a coop as shelter for your flock??
30 chickens is quite a few. Are you asking for winter time use, or all season??
Non freezing seasons, you can have a plastic barrel with horizontal nipples on the whole circular exterior at chicken height. . Fashion wheels on a base, and move around easily. Winter freezing conditions,, same will work if you have a stock tank deicer inside. You do need electricity for that. If electricity is out of reach, then you will need to use pans of water, and refill when frozen. Using black rubber pans, makes water less prone to freezing with sunlight warming the black rubber. The rubber also makes removing frozen blocks of ice easier.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

I like horizontal nipples because they stay clean.

For 30 you'll need several waterers, with something to break up the line of sight from one to another, to make sure that the dominant members of the flock don't guard the water from the others.

How much can you carry? I'm looking for a 3-gallon container because I can't carry 5 gallons.

Will you have a hose that you can run to the waterers so that they can be filled in place?

Chickens don't care what they drink from so anything that you can manage conveniently is a good choice.

Good points and ideas.
I mostly don’t want to spend money on something that isn’t worth it, and I don’t want to have to water twice a day in the summer when it is so hot and the garden needs so much attention. Of course I guess I could just add another waterer if I need too.

Your right 30 is a lot. But the demand for farm fresh eggs is high in this area. We had to buy from 3 different sources, plus Walmart last year. If I decide I isn’t worth it to keep that many I’ll sale laying age hens.

No coop yet. Getting that done is high on the list. I’ve ordered chicks and they will be here the 2nd week of February. Our brooders is roughly 4x8. So we do have some time. We are picking up feeders and waters for the brooder this week, and getting multiples so there is no crowding. Same with the heat sorce.

Most likely we will put a high tunnel over our garden, and keep the birdthere over winter. And I agree about the black rubber tubs for the colder months.

Im about to get a gorilla cart anyways. So I can put buckets in that and carry them. I’m only 5’1” so when I try to lift a 5gal bucket I hardly clear the ground even if it isn’t full. Lol. I’m in my early 30’s and a little more fit then not.

Eventually I’d love to let them free range, but I’m not sure what our predator pressure is going to be like here. We are on just over an acre between a wooded hill side, and the in-laws pasture.

Buy a cheap gorilla cart, put your waterer(s) on that, then either pull it yourself or tow it with car, atv, golf cart, mower, etc to where you need it to be. You can even connect your water buckets via flexible (vinyl, etc) hose to some PVC fixtures with the watering cups attached to them, so you can arrange your waterers like a spider's legs around the cart. I drag three 5 gallon buckets around on mine when I'm making mash. 9# of feed goes in each, drag them around to my rainwater catch, fill with water to top, stir, add more water, roll back to the run for later. My ground is not even, and I'm not in great shape - but you do notice its got some weight in it at that point. (I have the 7 cu ft poly cart - also good for moving spent bedding, and for gathering fresh leaf litter for the house and run. MUCH better than a wheelbarrow on my terrain)

Buy a cheap gorilla cart, put your waterer(s) on that, then either pull it yourself or tow it with car, atv, golf cart, mower, etc to where you need it to be. You can even connect your water buckets via flexible (vinyl, etc) hose to some PVC fixtures with the watering cups attached to them, so you can arrange your waterers like a spider's legs around the cart. I drag three 5 gallon buckets around on mine when I'm making mash. 9# of feed goes in each, drag them around to my rainwater catch, fill with water to top, stir, add more water, roll back to the run for later. My ground is not even, and I'm not in great shape - but you do notice its got some weight in it at that point. (I have the 7 cu ft poly cart - also good for moving spent bedding, and for gathering fresh leaf litter for the house and run. MUCH better than a wheelbarrow on my terrain)

Yeah. I decided I needed a cart Sunday. I was moving horse manure for the garden. My husband has a beast of a wheelbarrow that I have a hard time managing when it’s full because I’m so short. Also it takes more effort to get it up into it. I like it for moving wood, but not dirt, or compost, etc. We have some rough areas here too.

good point about the flex hoes pipe 👍

Back
Top Bottom