Which Way to slant the roof

Sometimes site and maintenance orientation does not match prevailing winds and water runoff aspects.
You do the best planning you can and finagle the rest.
so true. That is what I am running into. The prevailing winds would end up hitting the side of the coop. And I wanted to have the high part of the roof in front and the lower part in the back but my friend who is going to build it said that will not work because then all the water roll run down beside the garage. The back of the coop is going to be at the side of the garage. My idea was that the garage could help shielded from some of our weather. The garage is on the west side of the coop site and the wind mostly comes from the south and west. So although it's going to go against a lot of the recommendations I think I will keep it this way. It may mean that I get dripped on when I'm cleaning the coop but that's life. The chickens will get good morning sun and be protected from the hot sun in the summer.
I'm thinking some kind of plastic roof, or possibly shingles. Any suggestions?

I would think water runoff control is a priority, you can engineer your vents to deter drafts.
Deep eaves/roof overhangs can help with drips...or gutters.

A drawing of your plans and pics of the site would help us help you...
..but then I'm a designer/drafter, I always want drawings<rolleyes>

Last edited:
I would think water runoff control is a priority, you can engineer your vents to deter drafts. Deep eaves/roof overhangs can help with drips...or gutters. A drawing of your plans and pics of the site would help us help you... ..but then I'm a designer/drafter, I always want drawings
I will take pictures and post them here. I can keep water out of the run without a problem. I can put gutters on the garage and a little roof over the run if needed.

Finally I took a picture of the area I will put the coop and run in. I am taking the picture from the south side which is the way most of the wind comes in. I wanted this spot because it will be blocked from the intense sunlight during the summer.
So my friend said that I can't slant the roof down towards the garage or else it will cause issues for the garage. So she said to slanted the other way. The run will be from the side of the coop all the way to the end of the garage. The nest boxes will be on the outside of the coop on the southside. I'm working on drawing up the plans this weekend so I will try to post them.

Back
Top Bottom