Which would you prefer?

Which breed/s would you be most likely to consider buying?

• Total voters
One thing I heard over and over talking to breeders is they so many don't even bother with very "common breeds or varieties like the speckeled sussex because every hatchery and feed store carries them. So they are harder to sell for a decent price. Unless one has a real LOVE for the breed and variety and is showing and/or breeding to the SOP, they are likely to get stuck with a bunch of birds because people can get them so cheap elsewhere. (Or they can get them in a "mixed bag" of breeds elsewhere. Which seems important to a lot of people.

One thing I heard over and over talking to breeders is they so many don't even bother with very "common breeds or varieties like the speckeled sussex because every hatchery and feed store carries them. So they are harder to sell for a decent price. Unless one has a real LOVE for the breed and variety and is showing and/or breeding to the SOP, they are likely to get stuck with a bunch of birds because people can get them so cheap elsewhere. (Or they can get them in a "mixed bag" of breeds elsewhere. Which seems important to a lot of people.
That's true too. Most of what I listed aren't super common in my area. The Sumatra and Cochins are probably the most common, but I figured the self blues and sexlinked ones might give a tiny edge, plus the sexlinked might have drizzling too

I voted "other". I badly want citron Appenzeller Spitzhaubens, auburn Javas. and cream brabanters. (Pictured in order below.)
Appenzeller_spitskuif_Citroenzwartgeloverd_hen.jpg
Auburn Java.jpg
cream brabanter hen.jpg

*Mainly I'm just looking for other people's opinions and preferences, not what ones are a terrible idea to even bother with.*
It doesn't matter what WE say.. getting familiar with YOUR market is KEY..

More than that.. WAY narrow down the breeds and work with only those which YOU absolutely LOVE.. My true suggestion! :cool:

I thought Speckled Sussex were lovely as well.. they don't sell for CRUD here.. while PURE colored Silkies sell ALL day long EVERY day. French Marans also sell well. Lavender anything SEEMS popular.

I tried to find a jubilee/speckled Wyandotte.. looks like calling them Milli fleur in Europe though it has the mahogany base.. couldn't figure how to make them myself.. so TRYING to make "Isabella" laced Wyandotte from my lavs cross black laced red.

I voted for Isabella Leghorn.. though I'd be SHOCKED if you could get it AND also have it for sale in the near future.

I worked with white faced black Spanish.. FUN birds, very Leghorn'esque, good layers and foraging, challenging hatching. Screamers at harvest time.

Happy adventures! :wee

Back
Top Bottom