While 10% of USA is unemployed - rant

Quote:
At the time I was too stunned to reply at all - it's a mindblower to me that we simply weren't allowed to tell the truth.

Several years ago when the boys were 4,5 and 7 they managed to knock over a table filled with pumpkin pies at the local Shaws supermarket. I brought the boys home, told them they would have to pay for the pies with any Christmas money they received and made them all write letters of apology to the store. I dropped the letters off with a manager and asked him for the cost of damages. He told me he would have to get back with a dollar amount.

A week after Christmas I returned with the offending children (all 3 too embarrased to look up) with the intention of paying for the pies. I was told by the manager that they really didn't know what to do with me as they had NEVER had a parent who insisted that their child pay for their mistakes. That they actually had an in-store fund designed to pay for the things that children break. He said that the letters written by the boys had been a source of endless amusement in their break room and they didn't want the boys' money. I honestly didn't know wether to be happy or sad over this. While we really couldn't afford to give up the cash it was important to me that the boys learn a solid lesson about ruining things that don't belong to you. Although I do have to say the fact that they were all too embarrased to enter the store without prodding tells me that the lesson was learned, it still somehow sounds wrong to me.

One time when I was young (maybe about 6/7) we were leaving petsmart when I saw a ripped open bag of the little dog bone bistquets and took 1 to give to my dog. My mom saw it sticking out of my pocket and yelled at me telling me how wrong it was and made me go return it and tell them I was sorry. Boy that sure did scare and ashame me.

Times are pretty tough around here. Four people living on 1 income money is tight. Ive tried to apply for some assistance and the only thing we can get is insurance for my kids (thank goodness!)
You basically get paid to do nothing. They dont want to help out anyone whos trying to better themselves (or so it seems)

As a fellow hard working CT resident I feel your pain. But what I really want to say is "Thank You"
Thank you for being a loving parent who no matter how difficult this society makes it is still doing all that you can to raise your children to be responsible for their actions and for being a good role model for them. I hope that things get better for you and your family and that your son see's the error of his ways and straightens out his life.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
clap.gif

chickaddict Florida is no picnic either. The unemployment rate is the highest and that does not include the thousands that have used their benefits up and are not intitaled to the extension.
Property values are in the toliet now and yes you might be able to get a house cheaper here but try to get financing for it. Try to get a job to pay for it. And forget any help Mu daughter has been out of work for over 2 years her benefits are gone she recently took a parttime job with the census just to have some money coming in but had to sign a paper saying she would not try to collect unemployment after it was over. She tried to get foodstamps but she cant qualify as they want to go after her x for more childsupport They have been saying that for the whole 2 years in the meantime DH and I have been helping whereever we can but we cant do it anymore as we are having problems as well Now her SO has lost his job as well they were turned down yet again for foodstamps because his x is getting them illegally for his kids when one of them lives with him The judges answer to this send the boy back to his mother to live in an abusive household until he can review the case in august. So as it stands we are trying to feed both households and getting further in the hole all the time. I dont know what it will take to fix this country but I am of the opinion we need to abring our boyus home,close the boarders,stop international trade and rebuild our own country before we loose it all.

Quote:
x2
from your mouth to Obamas ears -
we shouldn't be using our resources to help others when we clearly can't help ourselves

I am unemployed, have been going on 1 1/2 years. I simply can't find a job I am either over qualified , under qualified or too old. I am going back to school. We can't get help either and luckily hubby has a job and his retirement pay from the AF, we make it but it is tight. Years ago I was single, working for barely minimum wage and living on my own, I applied for Food Stamps, I was turned down, why, because I owned a vehicle! They considered that an asset and it caused me to have a net worth over their qualifications, I could barely pay rent and put gas in my vehicle to go to work.

My BIL lives in CT, makes good money and he is ready to move as well, plain and simple tired of it! Hang in there, hopefully it will get better.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom