whipworms!

chickie63

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 11, 2010
Help! I am really new to this forum but need help from everyone and -or anyone with some feedback on this. I have been treating my birds with amprolium -corid 9.6 for 2 weeks for cocci-- cause there was blood in birds droppings. all chicken friends thought that it was cocci as well. I got some relief for my babies (30 in all )but now more blood --only a tiny bit in 2 birds droppings and diarreha (kind of mustard color) is showing up. I took a sample to vet who said there is no cocci but whipworm or something called capillaria ? or whatever. anyway it is basically whipworms vet said but she only deals with cats and dogs not chickens. any one ever deal with this. i am getting nervous cause my older bird is hanging her head and looking droopy . could be old age though. will isolate her tonite. funny thing is egg production is now great- afer molt completed. i can get wazine here but nothing else . will probably have to order via mail unfortuntly if I know what to order. Time is of the essence. internet only seems to deal with cats and dogs etc. from what i could find. meanwhile the droppings are deteriorating even though birds look good t this point-- can anyone help me? signed : luvbird in wisconsin

Quote:
I recommend you purchase an equine wormer called 'Safeguard' paste (fenbendazole.) Dosage is a "pea" size amount of paste given to each chicken. Fenbendazole is recommended for both type worms. Repeat treatment again in 14 days. Discard eggs for 14 days after dosing both times.

I just found them in my flocks poop too after posting help my flock looks terrible. I washed everything put down new hay + DE everywhere and increased their diet to all high protien since they appeared to be moulting (taking 3 months) Coverd one girls neck which seem very red. then I was watchin one hen whos comb is not so red and noticed she wasn't eating so I spent some time with her today and she pooped out a big whip worm. I'll try the dewormer the other person suggested

I just found them in my flocks poop too after posting help my flock looks terrible. I washed everything put down new hay + DE everywhere and increased their diet to all high protien since they appeared to be moulting (taking 3 months) Coverd one girls neck which seem very red. then I was watchin one hen whos comb is not so red and noticed she wasn't eating so I spent some time with her today and she pooped out a big whip worm. I'll try the dewormer the other person suggested

Sounds like you're dealing with large roundworms. Dont give your birds a wormer with fenbendazole in it (safeguard/panacur) because your birds are in molt. Give them valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer. Dosage is orally undiluted 1/2cc to each bird, repeat dosing in 10 days. Valbazen kills all known types of worms that chickens can get. There's a 14 day withdrawal after last dosing.

Fecal on my chickens came back with whip worms and hookworms. Got liquid panacur from the vet. One hen is molting. What's the problem with Panacur and molting chickens?

Thanks-

Fecal on my chickens came back with whip worms and hookworms. Got liquid panacur from the vet. One hen is molting. What's the problem with Panacur and molting chickens?

Thanks-

Molting birds shouldnt be wormed. They are under enough stress while in molt. They should be wormed well prior to molt. Panacur (fenbendazole) will cause regrowing feather deformities in molting birds.
That said, and in this instance due to the fact it's possible the hookworms can be transmitted to humans, I recommend using the panacur to eliminate both types of worms. Keep in mind there will be worm eggs in the soil and they will be picked up by your birds requiring you to worm your birds every 3-4 weeks to end the worms' lifecycle. Consider submitting fecal samples monthly for testing until the problem is eliminated.
When feathers are regrown, expect to see curled feathers, ingrown feathers, even twisted gnarley looking feathers. They will eventually grow normally again after a second molt later on.

I dealt with a problem for over a year...researched on here and tried everything. It would all start to work but the problem would come back. After several vets prescribing treatments for 14 days and even an x-ray, I finally found a farm vet and he did a FECAL CHECK and said treating whipworm every 10 days will not work. He prescribed a treatment I had to give for 5 days straight; I also treated the yard and the pen (moved them until it dried) and that was almost 3 years ago. Just got the problem back again. Raccoons probably brought them here again. Although I trapped 6 raccoons there are still some around here, but so long as they don't dig at my coops to get chickens I leave them alone. Opossums are here too and those are the boogers who gave me a one-eyed chicken (caught him with her head in his mouth) and got my chicks and momma (only her head gone) - amazingly small area where he got in - could have been a weasel too?
A fecal check is usually $25 and you know what you're dealing with and a vet has a book on correct dosage so you only have to do something once. The vet charges me for the fecal check and the treatment, no office visit. It comes up much affordable than checking on here and trying everyone's ideas. WORMS are all different and I took my chickens through hell for over a year trying to figure out why they kept losing weight and then each thing worked a little bit and then the problem came back - whipworms are that way and they are very serious! I also put cayenne pepper in their feed, but haven't for the past month and all of a sudden whipworm is back after 3 years??? Hmmm, adding the cayenne pepper back in - I already do the garlic powder. Mites are horrible this year and a friend who has had chickens for a long time said DE won't do the trick (don't I know) and she puts Borax down and she doesn't have any problem so I tried it with 2 coops and left the 3rd one with just DE; the 2 with Borax did well and the one with DE is covered with mites.
I GET A FECAL CHECK EVERY SIX MONTHS FOR $23 and it saves the chickens and me a lot of headache and money!

Last edited:
Hi
Can you please tell me how to use the Borax in the coop? Amount used? How often? It doesn't hurt the chickens?
The mites are terrible this year! My roo poor boy has them bad. You are right DE not the right remedy.
Making up a remedy to spray him and the hens(for prevention they don't have them) I still need the coop addressed before I do that.
Any advice you have or anyone reading about this and Borax would be appreciated.
Thanks!
hmm.png

Last edited:
I put it in the DE duster and mix it about half and half and put it everywhere, the walls, ceiling, floors and then cover the floors with hay - have had no problem from it. The girl who told me about it has used the Borax for a very long time without any problems. I still didn't put it near the food, just the DE. I dusted the chickens with the powder still to make sure and did the red kote on their legs.

Back
Top Bottom