Whirling head, panicking and almost seizure

drawlins

In the Brooder
Oct 21, 2019
York, UK
I'm really worried about one of our three buff orpingtons. She has been broody for about a couple of weeks, all normal - but tonight when cleaning the coop I noticed her sitting in the nest box and whirling her head in a circular motion. At first I thought she was clearing an irritation either inside or out, but then it became obvious she's not well.

When I got her out the nest box, her balance is quite poor and shes doing a lot of visual orientation if you like - looking all over the place as if to get a reference point on which way is up. I think she might have really bad vertigo. When I turned out the coop light after cleaning then monitored on a camera we have in there - she started whirling again, flapping wings and generally panicking.

I can't tell if it's a seizure or if she's simply really dizzy. She occasionally turns her head completely upside down, which seems to trigger the episode - if I then steady her and calm her down it seems to help a bit.

She's isolated in a dog cage in our kitchen, with the lights on dim - and seems to have settled down a bit.

Interest in food, water and being broody seems normal as far as a broody is concerned- she is trying to behave normally. But she has trouble aiming her pecks - if I try and give her a raisin, it takes a few attempts before she gets it out of my hand. I've done a lot of reading posts but it seems 50% of all illnesses can cause wry neck etc. I've checked her ears - they look fine, her crop is about 1/3 full (till she ate some more), and her abdomen feels fine. Her comb is upright, with a very light purple tinge, probably not enough to be called cyanosis.

Any help would be really appreciated as I'm pretty worried. Thank you

Sounds like wry neck, or the start .... Wry Neck - Vitamin E 400IU & Selenium 25mcg 2 - 3x day, NutriDrench, Thiamine/Vit B1, tuna, liver

If you got Nutri Drench, start her on that, see if it helps and give her treats high in Thiamine/Vit B1

If she's broody, what happen to the eggs she's setting on? Or was she just "sitting"?

Thank you ChickNanny. I did wonder if it was a vitamin deficiency - but their diet is quite good I think - a full mix of pellets and grains/kibble/oyster. They have granite grit available separately. The pellets have been fortified with vitamins including E (VermX layers pellets).

I slept downstairs with her last night and she only had one episode, the rest of the night being normal. Head is not routinely cocked to one side. I noticed in the couple of minutes after freaking out, her head was "buzzing" slightly, vibrating - almost like the aftermath of a seizure. Then she setlled down again, back to normal. When asleep, her head remains upright.

I've been trying to break her broodiness - no eggs. She's just sitting in the usual way. If she goes okay today I might put her back with the flock and monitor on camera.

I would go ahead and add 400 IU of vitamin E to her diet or better to give it orally every day. Selenium is best given in only a small amount of cooked egg daily, since it can be overdosed. Then I would remove her to a wire dog crate with no bedding sat on the ground for 5 days. That seems to be the best time for my broodies. Occasionally my stubborn one may need a few extra days. The dog crate may be sat outside with the other chickens and make sure there is food, water, and a cover.

I just wanted to give an update. The last couple of nights I’ve slept next to Victoria while she was in the kitchen. Her violent head flailing got progressively worse until the early hours of this morning when it was continuous except when I held her head still.
I had her laid next to me on my makeshift bed all night, and she was also breathing very heavily with open mouth. I couldn’t bear to see her suffer this much and decided to put her to sleep as there are no emergency vets that’ll treat birds here on a Sunday and especially with CV19 restrictions.
I’m absolutely devastated, this has been the hardest day in many years for me, but at least now she’s not in pain. We buried her in the garden near the coop where here sisters can be nearby.
I’ve looked at a lot of wry neck videos and it was not the same as that. I’m worried she might have had Mareks or Newcastle disease.

RIP Victoria xx

I just wanted to give an update. The last couple of nights I’ve slept next to Victoria while she was in the kitchen. Her violent head flailing got progressively worse until the early hours of this morning when it was continuous except when I held her head still.
I had her laid next to me on my makeshift bed all night, and she was also breathing very heavily with open mouth. I couldn’t bear to see her suffer this much and decided to put her to sleep as there are no emergency vets that’ll treat birds here on a Sunday and especially with CV19 restrictions.
I’m absolutely devastated, this has been the hardest day in many years for me, but at least now she’s not in pain. We buried her in the garden near the coop where here sisters can be nearby.
I’ve looked at a lot of wry neck videos and it was not the same as that. I’m worried she might have had Mareks or Newcastle disease.

RIP Victoria xx
So sorry. You made a difficult loving decision. RIP sweet girl.

Back
Top Bottom