White barred chicken...?

Pics
Not being able to start with the breed pre-filled still gives a pretty steep learning curve when you have no idea what genes a given breed is supposed to have. :)

True, but when I try to start with the breeds, I find so many that just fill with "duckwing" anyway that I just gave up on them. Which is why I eventually quit trying.

So if I go here:
http://kippenjungle.nl/breeds/crossbreeds.html
I can select "Australorp," which gives an all-black chicken. Only two genes were changed: the E locus became E/E, and the bird is Silver instead of gold. (Silver vs. gold won't matter for your project, so I ignored it, although it would matter for some other kinds of crossbreeding.)

But when I select "Marans" I just get a "black patterned gold duckwing," which is the wild-type default. So it does not actually help.

Although it does have the option to "browse M" or "browse F," which might help you: it shows a bunch of colored images and you can choose one.

I want one now! He’s so gorgeous! Do y’all think if I crossed a cuckoo Maran rooster with a white hen if I’d get something like this? Just thinking how I could get chicks like this.

It would depend on what kind of white hen, because there are several different genes that can cause white in chickens.

A cuckoo Maran rooster to a White Leghorn hen would probably work.

Or maybe a cuckoo Maran rooster to a Red Sexlink hen (Gold Comet, ISA Brown, Red Star-- any of the red ones with white in their tails.) If you do that, you should get about half black birds with white barring, and half white birds with white barring, but all of them could show a fair amount of red leakage as they grow up, which you might not want.

It would depend on what kind of white hen, because there are several different genes that can cause white in chickens.

A cuckoo Maran rooster to a White Leghorn hen would probably work.

Or maybe a cuckoo Maran rooster to a Red Sexlink hen (Gold Comet, ISA Brown, Red Star-- any of the red ones with white in their tails.) If you do that, you should get about half black birds with white barring, and half white birds with white barring, but all of them could show a fair amount of red leakage as they grow up, which you might not want.
So I don’t have leghorns, and don’t really plan to get any, I have Columbian Wyandotte’s and whiteish whiting True Blues. Would either of those work or should I wait until I get a different breed. I actually might be getting one or two leghorns or leghorn crosses from my aunt like next month or the month after, so maybe I could breed them. Any advice is appreciated. I might start my own thread on how to get a pattern like this. :)

So I don’t have leghorns, and don’t really plan to get any, I have Columbian Wyandotte’s and whiteish whiting True Blues. Would either of those work or should I wait until I get a different breed. I actually might be getting one or two leghorns or leghorn crosses from my aunt like next month or the month after, so maybe I could breed them. Any advice is appreciated. I might start my own thread on how to get a pattern like this. :)
Columbian is made with silver, not dominant white, so it wouldn’t work. Depends on the genetics of the whiting true blues.

If you want a white bird with white barring, Columbian Wyandottes will not work.

The Whiting True Blues might-- it depends on exactly what genes they've got, and the easiest way to tell is to breed them and see.

It doesn't look like that on my desktop. There is no "explain locus" or "About Buff" button showing. :)

I was trying to use the breeds because I have only the vaguest idea of what genes my chickens have. I know that there's a barred gene in the French Cuckoo Marans but not if there is a difference between regular barred and cuckoo. I kinda-sorta get blue/black/splash for the Blue Australorps -- maybe.
Oh! You're on desktop? I still see those options, and I also see show examples. That helped me at first though it doesn't have all the possibilities.

Oh! You're on desktop? I still see those options, and I also see show examples. That helped me at first though it doesn't have all the possibilities.

@Amer, are you using this one?
https://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingCO.html

@3KillerBs there are several different calculators on that site, and each displays a little differently.

I think Amer was using this one:
https://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingCO.html

I usually use this one:
https://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

And I know plenty of folks use this one:
http://kippenjungle.nl/breeds/crossbreeds.html

I'm pretty sure there are a few more as well, but if there is a handy list anywhere on that site I haven't blundered into it yet.

Back
Top Bottom