white bread for chicken

So, others have stated the obvious, but I'd like to add some information. I'm all for feeding birds scraps, people food etc once and a while. But bread is very bad for birds in the long run. If it can cause calcium deficiencies in ducks and angel wing, I'd hate to see the long term effects in chickens.

It's okay as a treat once and a while but long term it will really impact your birds health. You'll also likely get extremely weak shelled eggs and even weaker chicks if hatched. Just keep them on feed. It has everything they need and you don't have to go through any hassle.

So, others have stated the obvious, but I'd like to add some information. I'm all for feeding birds scraps, people food etc once and a while. But bread is very bad for birds in the long run. If it can cause calcium deficiencies in ducks and angel wing, I'd hate to see the long term effects in chickens.

It's okay as a treat once and a while but long term it will really impact your birds health. You'll also likely get extremely weak shelled eggs and even weaker chicks if hatched. Just keep them on feed. It has everything they need and you don't have to go through any hassle.
Does the bread have insufficient calcium (so offering free-choice oystershell would solve the problem), or does the bread make them unable to absorb the calcium they do eat?

Does the bread have insufficient calcium (so offering free-choice oystershell would solve the problem), or does the bread make them unable to absorb the calcium they do eat?
I believe both in this case. It lacks a lot of key nutrition and is basically a filler.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210228-210150~2.png
    Screenshot_20210228-210150~2.png
    82.8 KB · Views: 14
i read alot of articles about using bread as a main feed of chicken some of them engourage to feed adult chicken (one or two even say it is safe for baby chicken ) .and other researches prevent that (note: A starter diet is about 24% protein, grower diet 20% protein, and finisher diet 18% protein) .i conclude some ideas and i well be happy if you support or correct me :
1-white bread contain 7.3 percent P so what if we add worms (much protein) and eggshells (calcuim) .can that be a dailly food
2-one of the problems of give bread to chicken that will make them fat and lead to decrease production .if we pastured the flock that will help to reduce the fat or not
3-the bread can made digestive problems ( bread can quickly form balls inside your chicken’s crop) .the water can fix that
4-whats the other problems can bread create
*thank you*
I would love to see the articles your talking about.
I have a funny felling not one of them have anything to back there statements and have no idea what the basic nutritional needs of poultry are.

"1-white bread contain 7.3 percent P so what if we add worms (much protein) and eggshells (calcuim) .can that be a dailly food"

Your sill missing a lot of other Macro and Micro Nutrients that your birds need.

"2-one of the problems of give bread to chicken that will make them fat and lead to decrease production .if we pastured the flock that will help to reduce the fat or not"

Unless you have a huge pasture and your making the move around that not going to work.

"3-the bread can made digestive problems ( bread can quickly form balls inside your chicken’s crop) .the water can fix that"

Nope, normal water intake will not help at all do to the fact most water passes right past crop and what water that may inter the crop will just help make a Glue Ball.

"4-whats the other problems can bread create"

Well I can think of a big one,,,, How about having malnourished birds do to improper nutrition..

Bread would be fine as a treat but not a main feed.

I would love to see the articles your talking about.
I have a funny felling not one of them have anything to back there statements and have no idea what the basic nutritional needs of poultry are.

"1-white bread contain 7.3 percent P so what if we add worms (much protein) and eggshells (calcuim) .can that be a dailly food"

Your sill missing a lot of other Macro and Micro Nutrients that your birds need.

"2-one of the problems of give bread to chicken that will make them fat and lead to decrease production .if we pastured the flock that will help to reduce the fat or not"

Unless you have a huge pasture and your making the move around that not going to work.

"3-the bread can made digestive problems ( bread can quickly form balls inside your chicken’s crop) .the water can fix that"

Nope, normal water intake will not help at all do to the fact most water passes right past crop and what water that may inter the crop will just help make a Glue Ball.

"4-whats the other problems can bread create"

Well I can think of a big one,,,, How about having malnourished birds do to improper nutrition..

Bread would be fine as a treat but not a main feed.
:goodpost:

i read alot of articles about using bread as a main feed of chicken some of them engourage to feed adult chicken (one or two even say it is safe for baby chicken ) .and other researches prevent that (note: A starter diet is about 24% protein, grower diet 20% protein, and finisher diet 18% protein) .i conclude some ideas and i well be happy if you support or correct me :
1-white bread contain 7.3 percent P so what if we add worms (much protein) and eggshells (calcuim) .can that be a dailly food
2-one of the problems of give bread to chicken that will make them fat and lead to decrease production .if we pastured the flock that will help to reduce the fat or not
3-the bread can made digestive problems ( bread can quickly form balls inside your chicken’s crop) .the water can fix that
4-whats the other problems can bread create
*thank you*a

All they need is a commercially prepared complete feed. These feeds have everything the chickens need, in the correct amounts. Feeding white bread is not a complete feed. Your chickens will be malnourished.

I’m a big sustainability guy, and with the amount of food we waste in the US (up to half of what we produce), finding ways to divert that waste from landfills and repurpose it is going to be increasingly important.

On the USDA food waste pyramid, “feeding animals” is listed as higher value than even composting.
There is very little food at my house that actually goes in the trash. The chickens and the dogs get leftovers and scraps. Though one dog has pancreatitis, so his diet is limited. But, I do have a hard time thinking of scraps or leftovers of vegetables as "treats" for the chickens, unless treats are defined as something that is not a daily part of their diet. As opposed to treats that I get, like cookies or cake and the treats the dogs get like Greenies.

Back
Top Bottom