1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White chalky poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickened, Aug 16, 2013.

1. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Any ideas on the causes for white chalky poop accumulating on a hens feathers surrounding her vent? They still lay and act normal.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Some chickens just don't keep themselves clean, which causes a build-up of the white urates that you are talking about. I find that this dirtiness is more common in older chickens in cold or wet weather. Usually, at least in my chickens, it stays around for 2-3 months, and then suddenly, you notice that they are clean.

There is a condition known as Vent Gleet which causes a white discharge associated with whitish sores near the vent. Gleet is a fungal infection, which smells bad and can be very harmful to chickens if not remedied. I'd check your birds for any sores; if they have none, then your problem is just dirtiness, not Vent Gleet.

If you want to get rid of the white pasty build-up, give your birds a bath. Make sure their diet is good, and watch them for any other signs of disease, and you should be fine.

3. redstar14

redstar14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    You can also trim feathers around vent this will also help prevent your eggs from having poop on them

4. R.M.Qureshi

R.M.Qureshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Lahore , Pakistan
    Can you please describe how the actual poop on ground looks like. Picture would be more helpful.

5. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    It looks white and yes it could be just sticking to the feathers. I seen no sores

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by