White cloudy thing on egg yolk?

TexasHeifer

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 4, 2014
Texas
Can anyone tell me what the cloudy white film is on this egg to the right? I've never seen this before. This egg was laid by a hen that's about a year old.

I will be the first to admit I have absolutely NO IDEA what that is. Could it be an extra large chalazae?

In a totally unrelated matter, I just wanted to let you know I can't make it to breakfast tomorrow.......
sickbyc.gif

(Lol, just kidding, no offence intended! I do hope some more experienced chicken owners can help you.)

Best wishes,

Krista

Wow that is a strange one!

Did you cut into it? Is it hard? Anything inside of it?

It could be a whole shell less egg.

I find it easier to dissect funky eggs on a deep plate or shallow bowl, taking pics at each step of the cutting and picking.

Last edited:
Wow that is a strange one!

Did you cut into it? Is it hard? Anything inside of it?

It could be a whole shell less egg.

I find it easier to dissect funky eggs on a deep plate or shallow bowl, taking pics at each step of the cutting and picking.
I did cut it open! It was just a thin mushy film that held together, no liquid came out when I cut it. The film was only on the top side of the yolk in the picture. When I turned the yolk over the other side was all normal color. Sorry I didn't take pictures! Both these yolks came out of hard shells..maybe an egg inside of an egg? But then I would think the white film would surround it?

Oooooohhh I just realized that the blob on the right is a yolk covered in the white stuff, didn't look at it close enough before. Thought both the normal looking yolk on the left and the blob came out of the same shell.

Boy, I don't know. <shrug> Might be some kind of albumen malfunction.

You should post this pic in the weird and odd eggs thread.

Oooooohhh I just realized that the blob on the right is a yolk covered in the white stuff, didn't look at it close enough before. Thought both the normal looking yolk on the left and the blob came out of the same shell.

Boy, I don't know. <shrug> Might be some kind of albumen malfunction.

You should post this pic in the weird and odd eggs thread.

Please do post it there, never seen anything like that and would like to see in someone has an idea.

I wondered if the egg had been lying in a sunny spot with the sun being magnified through some glass or reflected onto it off a shiny surface so that the white on that side of it started to cook through the shell.
That's the best possible explanation I could come up with.

I wondered if the egg had been lying in a sunny spot with the sun being magnified through some glass or reflected onto it off a shiny surface so that the white on that side of it started to cook through the shell.
That's the best possible explanation I could come up with.
I was thinking it looked a bit 'cooked' too...not sure that could happen, but....

The egg was laid in the hen house under total shade. I guess an egg probably could get at least partially cooked if left in the sun lol.

Can anyone tell me what the cloudy white film is on this egg to the right? I've never seen this before. This egg was laid by a hen that's about a year old.
Did you ever get an answer to what the large mass in the egg was. One of my hens layed one like that as well. But the white mass was twice the size of the yolk.

Back
Top Bottom