White Cochin???

sens-5

Songster
9 Years
Feb 17, 2010
ontario canada
I was wondering if someone can tell me if they are pure white cochin and also what gender? there approx. 6 month now and never had an egg yet
49215_sens-5_037.jpg

49215_sens-5_038.jpg

49215_sens-5_033.jpg

looks like a white cochin to me, but I don't own any....I use the Cackle Hatchery guide to help me ID...pretty sure though
sorry, forgot the gender question...I would say pullet, the combs aren't very large and I see no saddle or hackle feathers yet...
some take longer to lay eggs...I could be wrong, I hope someone smarter can help you more.

Last edited:
I think you're right with the White Cochin guess. They all look like pullets, so maybe they're just taking their time, making you wait for those eggs...
wink.png

Look like girlas to me...but six months? Wow. Could they be storing them elsewhere? My EE decided under the porch suited her better. I started looking once we'd went three days with no green eggs. I read that silkies can take forever to lay...not sure about cochins. I had a cochin roo and at three months he had a huge comb and wattles...

Looks like females to me but my standard don't start laying till around ten months old and some times the males are slow to grow hackle feathers and combs.

Cochins are slow at everything, that one on the front could turn out roostery here pretty soon, but not necessarily. Usually the boy cochins develop a bit faster than the girls, I had crowing and huge wattles on mine LONG before the girls squatted or were more than pal pink in their combs. They have awfully red combs to not be laying.

Back
Top Bottom