1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White Cochin???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sens-5, Sep 13, 2011.

1. sens-5

sens-5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2010
    ontario canada
    I was wondering if someone can tell me if they are pure white cochin and also what gender? there approx. 6 month now and never had an egg yet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    looks like a white cochin to me, but I don't own any....I use the Cackle Hatchery guide to help me ID...pretty sure though
    sorry, forgot the gender question...I would say pullet, the combs aren't very large and I see no saddle or hackle feathers yet...
    some take longer to lay eggs...I could be wrong, I hope someone smarter can help you more.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I think you're right with the White Cochin guess. They all look like pullets, so maybe they're just taking their time, making you wait for those eggs... [​IMG]

4. chisNchickens

chisNchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Look like girlas to me...but six months? Wow. Could they be storing them elsewhere? My EE decided under the porch suited her better. I started looking once we'd went three days with no green eggs. I read that silkies can take forever to lay...not sure about cochins. I had a cochin roo and at three months he had a huge comb and wattles...

5. sens-5

Feb 17, 2010
    ontario canada
    Quote:thank you

6. sens-5

Feb 17, 2010
    ontario canada

7. sens-5

Feb 17, 2010
    ontario canada

8. poofball

poofball Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    Kentucky
    Looks like females to me but my standard don't start laying till around ten months old and some times the males are slow to grow hackle feathers and combs.

9. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Cochins are slow at everything, that one on the front could turn out roostery here pretty soon, but not necessarily. Usually the boy cochins develop a bit faster than the girls, I had crowing and huge wattles on mine LONG before the girls squatted or were more than pal pink in their combs. They have awfully red combs to not be laying.

10. sens-5

Feb 17, 2010
    ontario canada
    Quote:thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by