White Comb/dryness on Flock

Tblack

Hatching
Oct 11, 2021
Hello, I’m new to raising chickens and have 6 hens and 1 roo. With this said today I noticed the hens who are 20 weeks have what looks like dry skin or white on their combs. They are still not fully mature and one hen is finally laying…. I’ve been reaserching and have seen so many things so hoping this community can help. I’m in WA and the weather is rainy and getting a lot cooler at night so not sure if it’s just dry?

Attachments

• 489EFDFB-4F1C-4125-8710-68864213AF52.png
    489EFDFB-4F1C-4125-8710-68864213AF52.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 83EB26D3-2FD0-4761-8471-5140E460DE4F.png
    83EB26D3-2FD0-4761-8471-5140E460DE4F.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
Looks dry to me.
You can apply a very thin layer of vaseline to the comb and beaks if you wish.

What are you feeding?
That’s what I was thinking possibly dry and was hoping it was Not Favus… however all the hens look that way, we just started getting eggs from one hen and all the others have not laid yet. We feed Scratch and Peck Organic Layer, and then give them fresh veggie scraps like lettuce, carrot peels and tops, beet greens, and zucchini. Also give the occasional Grubblies for treats

Doesn't look like Favus.

You may want to soak or ferment the scratch and peck if loose type grain/feed instead of pellets. Seems like a lot of folks mention that their birds pick out their favorite things like the peas/corn and don't eat all of it, leaving the powder which is the vitamin/mineral additive.

Doesn't look like Favus.

You may want to soak or ferment the scratch and peck if loose type grain/feed instead of pellets. Seems like a lot of folks mention that their birds pick out their favorite things like the peas/corn and don't eat all of it, leaving the powder which is the vitamin/mineral additive.
Thank you for your advice and help! We tried them on layer pellets and they wouldn’t eat it … think they are spoiled! Great idea on the soaking or fermenting i will give that a try.

Back
Top Bottom