White corn chicken feed.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mrandmrschicken, Jun 9, 2010.

1. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    I recently found out my 4 mo. old bantam Delaware pullet is a cockerel! She went from Della to Dell in less than 3 minutes!
    Now, I have been advised to use feed made of white corn to preserve his brilliant white plumage and white flesh.
    We live in NW Iowa, right in yellow corn country, and I simply do not know where to start.
    Can anyone supply me with some ideas? Names?
    Thanks for your time.

2. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    I don't think you need white corn to have white flesh. White Flesh and feathers come from their genetic make-up not from one feed source. If you want to try have corn in your feed, then mix the corn in with the pellets/crumbles they are currently eating. I can't give you any names of white corn producers [​IMG]-I don't know any.

3. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    Quote:I was advised to use white corn to keep the feathers stark white, yellow corn will tint them. I mis-spoke in reference to the flesh.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Yellow corn can and will give some breeds of white birds a yellow cast. Most of the time it gives them yellowing in the hackles, saddle and sometimes in the wing bow...

Chris

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Avoid feed with corn--wheat, oats and rice are more nutritious, anyways. But finding a non-corn based feed will prove difficult.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by