White Crested Black Polish rooster bleeding from head and tail areas

flyinghoofs

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Iowa
We have a 1 1/2 yo White Crested Black Polish rooster who we think is being hen pecked. He has never been able to grow his whole hat, we think the hens peck it out first. Obviously it bleeds, so then they really get after it, but we have tried to stop the bleeding and treat it but nothing seems to work. (We have not separated him from the flock to wait and see if he grew the whole thing out, they would stop pecking.) We've looked for lice or bugs but don't see any. A few days ago, my husband noticed he was bleeding from his tail area. (He molted a month or so ago and is trying to grow his tail feathers back.) There was quite a bit of blood but again, no signs of lice or bugs. Our chickens have a big coop to roost in at night and free range during the day. Aside from what they get outdoors, they are also fed Kent Layer feed. We also have a White Crested Black Polish hen who has no issues, although she is a year older. This rooster is the only one out of approximately 30 that is having a problem and he is our only rooster.

My husband thinks we should put him out of his misery but he is the nicest rooster we've ever had (doesn't beat up the hens or chase people). I am hoping someone here can help us.
Thanks!
Cathy

You need to separate him and treat those bloody areas with antibiotic ointment. Give him a chance to recover. Otherwise he may end up pecked to death . Ideally, set him up in a coop with less aggressive hens so he can start to feel like the boss and get his self confidence back.

Back
Top Bottom