White crested black polish?

I have WHAT in my yard?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Eggberg, PA
Hello all, I had put out a request for chicks and guess what? I was just given two ten to 16 week old chicks. They both appear to be pullets. One is definitely a white crested black polish. She really is a beaut! But she's pretty tiny. I know they are prized for their beauty and that they are not good breeders, but how good of a layer will she be?

The other looks to be a barred rock mix of some sort - possibly polish! When I get the hang of posting pics maybe I can post one and you all can let me know what she is!

Thanks for the info!
jumpy.gif

I get nearly an egg a day from all of my WCB Polish (large fowl) girls. And they are very fertile! They out-do my hatchery laying hens (Wyandotte and Brahma) and really put my Marans to shame.

The problem with them is they do not always get along well in a mixed flock. With those crests they are little walking bullseyes, ripe for the plucking! Your other breeds (and often Polish will do this to each other, as well) might be very tempted by their crests and pluck feathers out. They will sometimes even kill them. They are also not very good at free-ranging (I do know that some have luck with this; I have not). Regardless, they will be happier birds if you trim their crest feathers around their eyes so that they can see better.
big_smile.png

Good luck with them. They are fun little birds! And yes, post pics when you can!

Crunchie and all thanks for the info! I am glad to hear she should likely lay! I was afraid she was going to be a thing of beauty and that's all!!!
tongue.png

Right now there are only the three birds, the polish, the barred rock mix and one unknown rooster!

So far they seem to be getting along. The girls are both a bit older than the roo and his attempt to assert his authority have cost him a tail feather or two, but no injuries so far!

I have been trying to be careful to make sure she sees me when I approach her so I don't startle her. Does anyone have any pictures of how to do a wing clip on a bird like this? Her wings are beautiful and I hate to mess them up, but she can get quite the distance when riled!

jumpy.gif

You should clip about 1/2 - 2/3 off the length of the primaries. Some clip only one wind to throw them off balance, but I prefer to cut both wings, as it seems to stress them out less when they do try to fly. This pic should help with where to cut.

d32ee22d-8c1e-4b3a-bcd4-335b5cbd1ef0

Can someone send me to where directions on posting pics would be?

We put in the nest boxes yesterday an this A.M. I found ALL three squished into one box! They could have gone anywhere in the coop or into the open roosting area, BUT NOOOO they all squished into one box! I guess this means they're getting along OK?

OH yeah, the WCB polish is skittish, but actually quite cuddly once she's picked up, she shook for a bit, then settled down and made this little chirring sound almost like a purr! Anyone know what this is and is it a happy sound or one of fear?
idunno.gif

Also the roo, who was cuddly when he lived alone suddenly doesn't want anything to do with me! Hubby tells me I got dumped for a chicken!
tongue2.gif

Back
Top Bottom