White crested duck having issues

Rileedale

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2018
About 2 months ago, I ordered two ducklings from Metzer farms. The both came in, I got a cayuga, which was fine, and I got a white crested. The white crested duck was very quiet, and he had uneven hair. He was very cute. But when the time was right, we put them outside. His name is pumpkin, and I may be wrong but I think he may be slower then the other ducks. I’m not joking, I’m being serious. He doesn’t swim with the other ducks, he can for a bit but then he eventually stops and goes to shore and sits. He is so easy to walk up on, when I go to put them in, I walk up behind him and just grab him, and he doesn’t even get shocked. He loves my mom and i, and would rather be with us then the other ducks. Every time I go to see them, he walks up to me to greet me. He is a huge loner, and I don’t know if I mentioned this but his tail is crooked, and his wings are more the the side then the middle of his back. He’s sigh a sweet heart, and I’d hate to have anything happen to him. I just don’t know what to do, because the other ducks aren’t mean to him, he Just can’t keep up.

Crested ducks can have neurological problems and the larger the crest can mean the worse the problems so can you post a picture of your white crested? It's great the others aren't picking on him because very often if one shows the least bit trouble it can happen. Being slower can mean he could be an easy target for predators. You might eventually consider making him and another buddy their own pen just for protection if you notice him getting worse than what your seeing now. Also you might try a good poultry vitamin or some b complex liquid and see if that makes any difference. He sounds like a sweet heart. @Rileedale

Last edited:
Crested ducks can have neurological problems and the larger the crest can mean the worse the problems so can you post a picture of your white crested? It's great the others aren't picking on him because very often if one shows the least bit trouble it can happen. Being slower can mean he could be an easy target for predators. You might eventually consider making him and another buddy their own pen just for protection if you notice him getting worse than what your seeing now. Also you might try a good poultry vitamin or some b complex liquid and see if that makes any difference. He sounds like a sweet heart. @Rileedale

Attachments

• E1F318CE-A243-46CD-8B9D-3CDCCEBAB54F.jpeg
    E1F318CE-A243-46CD-8B9D-3CDCCEBAB54F.jpeg
    263.2 KB · Views: 25
About 2 months ago, I ordered two ducklings from Metzer farms. The both came in, I got a cayuga, which was fine, and I got a white crested. The white crested duck was very quiet, and he had uneven hair. He was very cute. But when the time was right, we put them outside. His name is pumpkin, and I may be wrong but I think he may be slower then the other ducks. I’m not joking, I’m being serious. He doesn’t swim with the other ducks, he can for a bit but then he eventually stops and goes to shore and sits. He is so easy to walk up on, when I go to put them in, I walk up behind him and just grab him, and he doesn’t even get shocked. He loves my mom and i, and would rather be with us then the other ducks. Every time I go to see them, he walks up to me to greet me. He is a huge loner, and I don’t know if I mentioned this but his tail is crooked, and his wings are more the the side then the middle of his back. He’s sigh a sweet heart, and I’d hate to have anything happen to him. I just don’t know what to do, because the other ducks aren’t mean to him, he Just can’t keep up.

I recently adopted 3 female white crested ducks. They are about 3 weeks old. Just recently I realized one has one eye that seems much smaller than her other eye. It also seems watery and she keeps it closed quite a bit. I don't think it's an infection, it almost appears "droopy" and about half the size as her other?

Back
Top Bottom