White Crested Polish Bantam...

5351B8B4-CDAF-4B5B-B76E-E3B5C56C9677.jpeg
I have been checking her bum, and putting antiseptic on her umbilical chord nubben like you suggested before and the paper towel idea seems smart, so I will give it go in the morning (I put everyone to bed about 15 minutes ago.)

What is the temperature of your brooder in the warmest spot? Are you using a thermometer on the floor? Just from the picture, they seem to be on the edge, so just wondering if the temperature is too hot. How many days old are they?
The thermometer reads 95. And the basement itself is 80 degrees. They are laying directly under the heat lamp in that picture... and their pen is a large kiddie pool with lots of room for them to move around so I think they’re okay temperature wise? They usually don’t line up like that and go for a traditional pile, but I think they just ended up that way just this once. Covie is all the way at the far end looking lively. 2 of them are 2.5 weeks old. And the other 7 are less than a week old. They seemed like 1-3 days old when I got them on Friday. Covie and “Chip” are super tiny because they are bantams.

That is fine as long as they have a cooler spot to get to. I usually use 90 F the first week of age and go down by 5 dagrees weekly until all feathers are in around 6-7 weeks. The kiddie pool may need some screen on top since most chicks will start jumping up to the tops of brooders between 2-3 weeks. You don’t want to lose one who might get cold by hopping out of the brooder. Good luck with your chicks.

That is fine as long as they have a cooler spot to get to. I usually use 90 F the first week of age and go down by 5 dagrees weekly until all feathers are in around 6-7 weeks. The kiddie pool may need some screen on top since most chicks will start jumping up to the tops of brooders between 2-3 weeks. You don’t want to lose one who might get cold by hopping out of the brooder. Good luck with your chicks.
Thank you sooo much for all the advice and yes I have cut a couple screen windows so they can see every and have chicken wire for a lid. The one older girl flies already lol. But you’ve been very helpful and I’m very grateful :)

Back
Top Bottom