White Crested singled out

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Birdygirl, May 21, 2007.

1. Birdygirl

Birdygirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2007
    We have 2 week old chicks and they all seem healthy and happy. Our "mystery chick" was a White Crested Polish.
    She has that "cotton ball" on top of her head..lol
    Well, I noticed the last couple of days that the crest is "parted" slighty on one spot and is looking a little pink. I'm worried one or some are pickin at her.
    When we first got her she was lil miss independent but lately she has been pretty much staying away from the rest of the flock(except she does lay with the flock to sleep). She tends to eat from the feeder when there are less chicks around it and is not as hyper as the others.
    She is the smallest by the way.
    My other chicks are 5 RIR, 5 Buff Orps, 5 Barred Rocks,5 Light Brahmas, 5 Auracanas. Do you think they know she is different than them?
    What should I do? I don't see any blood yet on her head.
    Help!!!
    Thanks to all of you!

2. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    Yes, they do know she is different, & they will pick on her.

I had to keep my Polish separate from my other chickens. Mine were more timid, and even when grown, the other hens would peck at their head feathers when they were free ranging during the day. I had to make a pen just for the Polish cause they would just hide all the time to keep from being picked on.

I have seen Polish roosters & hens mixed with other chickens & the roo protected HIS girls from the others.
    But with you having only 1, I suggest keeping it from the others. You might just have to get another Polish for company.
    (Adding to the addiction)....[​IMG]

Jean

3. Birdygirl

Birdygirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2007
    Thank you!
    Yes, mine is very timid too and doesnt join in on the fun n games like all the others do...Not sure where I could get just one more polish chick tho..hmmm..
    I hate to separate her when she is the only polish, I just keep hoping they will all get along, but, if I don't then I am afraid of what will happen to her.
    I will keep a close eye on her the next day or so, if it seems that nothing has improved or gotten worse I will put her in her own lil cage... [​IMG]

4. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    How about separating her and another one or two of the others that are more friendly?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by