White Crusty nodules in walnut comb?

fishnet1971

'Birds Momma
13 Years
May 25, 2010
'Bird 'n the Fluffy Butts coop in Ohio
I have an Ameracana with a combmb that is showing these white crusty small 'nodules' last year. I tried soaking them and picking them off thinking they were dirt, food, etc. They seemed to be attached to the comb. They looked almost like calcium deposits. I cleaned and neosporined them and put her back with the rest of the flock.

She quit laying her lovely green eggs last year as well.
She is is 2 1/2
Healthy otherwise.

The little nodules never went away, but all else is fine.

I have a White Sultan born this Feb. and she has these little concretions as well in her comb. I have cleaned them, tried to pluck them off etc.
She is laying fine.
Helathy otherwise

I have a Cochin that is SUPER prone to vent gleet time and time again. She has not left me an egg in a year as well.
she is 2 1/2
Healthy otherwise.

Could I be having a fungus issue?
I treat the vent gleet with typical womens yeast infection medication for 3 days in her vent and it seems to clear up.

Girls are houses in a nice dry super clean coop. cleaned daily.outside run is huge, lots of grass, dirt, etc. Does get wet at times. Dust bath is wet at times.

I will get photos tonight.

Last edited:
It may be a case of favus or fungus in the comb. Try putting some Lotrimin, Tinactin, or some of the miconazole cream that you use on the gleet girl on the combs. Favus is contageous, so wear gloves when you put on the cream. Try giving your flock probiotics in their water twice a week to see if it helps the vent gleet. Probios dispersable powder is easy to use. Some also recommend ACV in the water a few times a week as well.

That is what I am thinking as well Egg. I feel so STUPID for not realizing it was an issue until today when I saw another girls post about 'Favus" and I looked it up. I picked up a spray of Tinactin and one of lotrimin. and I have the Monistat on hand already. I am wondering what is giving the girls yeast and fungus problems? and are they related to each other? I have probiotics on hand as well. I get yogurt down the vent gleet one a lot.

I'm not an expert, but I think gleet can be reflective of other issues like crop problems and worms. I had a couple like that, and after trimming and cleaning bums, I wormed with Valbazen, and they are better.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom