White dandruff on floor coop

tinyfeet

Chirping
Feb 20, 2016
I have two White Marans pullets. Once they became about 3-1/2 months I have noticed a white like dandruff on the coop floor. What is this and is this normal? I am new to Marans and feather legged/footed chickens. Thank you.

I have two White Marans pullets. Once they became about 3-1/2 months I have noticed a white like dandruff on the coop floor. What is this and is this normal? I am new to Marans and feather legged/footed chickens. Thank you.
Welcome To BYC

Photos of what you are seeing would be helpful.

From your description, I will take a guess until I see otherwise, but likely what you are seeing is the shedding of Keratin. When chickens grow in new feathers, there are sheaths, that surround the new growth. As the feathers come on out, the sheath is shed and birds preen those off.

From your description, I will take a guess until I see otherwise, but likely what you are seeing is the shedding of Keratin. When chickens grow in new feathers, there are sheaths, that surround the new growth. As the feathers come on out, the sheath is shed and birds preen those off.
Yeppers...prime time for a juvenile molt.

I am not good at taking pictures. Hope you can see it in the attached. Thank you all for your assistance.

Attachments

• DSCF3488.JPG
    DSCF3488.JPG
    436 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom