White Earlobe?

Eggnog101

Songster
7 Years
Jun 26, 2012
I have a Buff Orpington chicken named Q, and one half of her earlobes have turned white! And, I was wondering if it was natural, or if she had frostbite or something.

Thank you for your time.

My Americanas have green/ blue ear lobes. The ear lobes are a way to tell what color eggs they will lay. What color are her ear lobes right now. Other than the white one?

Was it previously red & has thrned white in a portin of the lobe? Also is it actually pure white or just very pale? If she's laying regularly it's not unusual for the lobes to lose some colour. BTW: ear lobe colour isn't universally a predictor of egg colour.

Was it previously red & has thrned white in a portin of the lobe? Also is it actually pure white or just very pale? If she's laying regularly it's not unusual for the lobes to lose some colour. BTW: ear lobe colour isn't universally a predictor of egg colour.
It was previously red, and turned half white (Yes, I believe it is white, not just pale) she's laying semi-regularly (She's started slacking off now that winter has started) and is acting like she always has.

I've got the same thing. Everyone had red like this:

Now I have one that turned white. She seems fine otherwise. She is 7 months old and one of the smallest hens.

My hens' combs and earlobes lighten in color during the winter months when they molt and stop laying or their laying slows. They get noticeably darker (redder) again when the days get longer and they start to lay again. My RIR hasn't layed in weeks and right now her earlobes white.

I have a Buff Orpington chicken named Q, and one half of her earlobes have turned white! And, I was wondering if it was natural, or if she had frostbite or something.

Thank you for your time.

I have a healthy chicken with white earlobes. They're kind of funny looking. She's a silver laced wyandotte and she lays brown eggs. :)

I've got the same thing. Everyone had red like this:

Now I have one that turned white. She seems fine otherwise. She is 7 months old and one of the smallest hens.

Three birds, wrapped up neatly w/ one single thread, and two words:

Avian dermatophytosis. Or, more commonly, only one: Favus.

Microsporum gallinae is the causative agent.
Definition: a fungal species that causes dermatophytosis in fowl and, occasionally, in humans; due to its broadly clavate macroconidia, it was erroneously classified as a species of Trichophyton.

I'm not a vet, and have no clinical basis for askin' y'all to test my theory, but I'm nearly certain that the antifungal Tolnaftate would prove effective against this fungal species, and I'd sure appreciate it if you'd each give it a try?

Kroger's Medicated Athlete's Foot Antifungal Liquid Spray contains 1% Tolnaftate, and is labeled to treat althlete's foot (tinea pedis) and ringworm (tinea corporis). The inactive ingredients are SD Alcohol 40-B (36% w/w), BHT, isobutane (propellant), and PPG-12-buteth-16. You could spray it into a cotton ball placed w/in the lid, as an easy way to apply it w/o gettin' it into their eyes (for fear of causing irritation ~'-)

Other products that contain Tolnaftate, by Brand Name:

US Market:

• Absorbine Jr. Antifungal
  • Aftate
  • Blis-To-Sol
  • Dermasept Antifungal
  • Fungi-Guard

• Podactin
  • Q-Naftate
  • Tinactin
  • Tinaderm
  • Ting

Canadian Market:

• Athlete's Foot Gel
  • Dr. Scholl's Athlete's Foot
  • Pitrex
  • Scholl's Athlete's Foot Spray
  • Scholl Tritin Antifungal Powder
  • Scholl Tritin Antifungal Spray Powder

• Tinactin Aerosol Liquid
  • Tinactin Aerosol Powder
  • Tinactin Jock Itch
  • Tinactin Plus
  • Tinactin Plus Aerosol Powder

I found this thread because I have the same issue with one of my buffed orpingtons developing white ear lobes. Same conditions in that she acts normal and is
asymptomatic. She is 11months old and has been a good layer.

Does anyone have any follow up on this issue with their chickens highlighted above? Did anyone try an anti fungal treatment or prove out that it wasn't Favus?

I too have this occurring with one of my Serama hens. I see nothing else wrong with her so I am assuming it's just a blemish she got with age, like how people get age spots.

Back
Top Bottom