White earlobes and bumblefoot

We did a bandage change on Monsters foot yesterday. The wound looks better already. The vet says to keep using the SSD and we will wait to see if we need an antibiotic. Hopefully not. I am worried about the skin healing up too tight though. But I can’t seem to bandage it right where his toe would normally sit. Here are some updated pics.

5742A83A-5506-4CFB-8FD9-D5E7A2E0A203.jpeg
56178AAF-2772-4356-861D-22C26DB174C1.jpeg
066B3BF9-4D30-49DE-A060-157AFC501475.jpeg

We did a bandage change on Monsters foot yesterday. The wound looks better already. The vet says to keep using the SSD and we will wait to see if we need an antibiotic. Hopefully not. I am worried about the skin healing up too tight though. But I can’t seem to bandage it right where his toe would normally sit. Here are some updated pics.
That's looking better!

Ok. Is that his "back toe" ?

Don't wrap the toe to the foot with your vet wrap. Hard to explain! Apply your SSD, then apply your gauze, you may need to put a tiny roll or folded piece of gauze in there to help separate the toe. Let your gauze help "spread out" the toe or fill in that gap if that makes sense.
If I'm doing toes, I cut my vet wrap into longish thin/narrow strips. I start at the base of the toe, wrap out the toe, then back in. Since this is the back toe, when you get to the foot pad, go across the foot pad and come up between one of the front toes, then you can go across the top, under the back toe and up the ankle. Does that make any sense at all?
Even if I'm just doing a toe, the whole foot and other toes usually end up getting wrapped individually, especially that darn back toe because I'm pulling it up. My strips are narrow, so I end up with layers. Not like a huge stack of wrappings, just layering them until I get it how I want.

If you have a helper, that's even better. I do this by myself usually, so if you are alone in doing this, have your strips already cut.

Don't wrap so tight that you can't get scissors in there to cut the wrappings off. The way I wrap, there's usually no way I can "unwrap" the dressings, I cut them off.

That's looking better!

Ok. Is that his "back toe" ?

Don't wrap the toe to the foot with your vet wrap. Hard to explain! Apply your SSD, then apply your gauze, you may need to put a tiny roll or folded piece of gauze in there to help separate the toe. Let your gauze help "spread out" the toe or fill in that gap if that makes sense.
If I'm doing toes, I cut my vet wrap into longish thin/narrow strips. I start at the base of the toe, wrap out the toe, then back in. Since this is the back toe, when you get to the foot pad, go across the foot pad and come up between one of the front toes, then you can go across the top, under the back toe and up the ankle. Does that make any sense at all?
Even if I'm just doing a toe, the whole foot and other toes usually end up getting wrapped individually, especially that darn back toe because I'm pulling it up. My strips are narrow, so I end up with layers. Not like a huge stack of wrappings, just layering them until I get it how I want.

If you have a helper, that's even better. I do this by myself usually, so if you are alone in doing this, have your strips already cut.

Don't wrap so tight that you can't get scissors in there to cut the wrappings off. The way I wrap, there's usually no way I can "unwrap" the dressings, I cut them off.
It is his back toe.

I think I get what you’re saying. Kind of make it look like one of the birdie booties or like he’s just wearing a vet wrap toe shoe. I had just wrapped it like the vet did but I’ll try your way today since he gets a bandage change today.

I learned not to wrap wrappings too tight on my son actually. He got his ankle stuck in a bike chain and needed 11 stiches. Luckily he can tell me when the wrappings are too tight. So I’m always weary wrapping up wounds now. Human or animal.

@Wyorp Rock This is the roosters back toe now.
116BBFC3-ECBC-48E0-A159-755E959BC976.jpeg
C2B11067-56AA-4A4F-9A40-887C130DA8EB.jpeg

These were the best pictures I could get since my phone camera doesn’t like to focus on his toe. I removed the bandages yesterday and within a day he ripped off another toe nail on the same foot. He also has a cut on his shank on his other leg.
2FDA48FB-9B0D-42F7-BEF8-F6DD65160CB9.jpeg

I’m not sure how he keeps hurting his feet. He is a big guy. He’s a light Brahma aptly named Monster. The roosts in the coop he sleeps in are higher than 18” off the ground but I have a set of deck stairs under the roosts to help him jump onto the roosts. He does only have two toes on the foot keeps injuring. He had one toe removed due to bone infection. It got in because he ripped his toe nail off and I didn’t catch it in time.

Here’s a layout of the coop. I don’t have an updated picture so I used an old one and drew overtop. The red lines are the roosts and the stairs are actually a lot bigger than I drew them. The top stair sits only a few inches below the lowest roost and that’s the one he sleeps on.
754B3272-A5B7-4355-A53D-2B432AD6CABA.jpeg

Do you have another rooster that he may be fighting with?

Possibly slicing it on wire or a feeder? Look around and see if there's something sharp that he could be getting his toe cut on.

The back toe looks to be healing up!

Do you have another rooster that he may be fighting with?

Possibly slicing it on wire or a feeder? Look around and see if there's something sharp that he could be getting his toe cut on.

The back toe looks to be healing up!
I just got rid of my visibly aggressive males. I don’t have anything sharp in the run but I do have pallets down and think those may be the culprit. He may be slipping on them and falling into the holes. I haven’t seen it happen with anyone but my kids have done it. Once it stops raining here I’m removing them and putting down mulch. We just got a great deal on a truckload for 20$.

Why would he be having more feet issues than my other roosters? Because he’s a heavier breed? Could his toenails be weaker? He seems to be ripping them right out. Like the nail bed isn’t strong enough to stay connected to his foot. If that makes any sense.

Back
Top Bottom