White eggs?

bookjunky4life

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 3, 2012
I've been getting eggs from my chickens born in March since August. I'd only ever gotten medium brown eggs/some a little lighter brown until my one Ameracauna hen started laying a few weeks ago. I normally do the chicken chores so I see first hand what eggs I got from which box, etc. However, my husband collected the eggs last night. He collected the blue egg and a white egg. We also have a few ducks that lay white eggs but always lay on the ground, can't possibly get to the chicken nesting boxes. However, the chickens occasionally lay down in the straw where the ducks lay. He swears this white egg, which is about the same size as the blue egg, came from the nesting boxes. Here are the breeds of hens I have....none of which lay white eggs as far as I know: Australop, Jersey Giant, Buff Orphington, Ameracauna, Light Brahama, Bantam Conchin, Plymouth Rock. Am I wrong and one of these lays white eggs?

They're all brown or green layers. Maybe he's mistaken where the egg came from or possibly a chicken tucked the egg under its wing and carried it in the nest to brood.
I've had broody chickens steal eggs from one another. Elevated separate nest boxes and eggs would be moved from one to the other.

It would be unlikely that one of your chickens would lay an egg devoid of color but not impossible.

Last edited:
I just talked to my sister and she says she gets white eggs from her Plymouth Rocks. I don't currently have any broody hens so that can probably be ruled out.

Could be one of the buff orphingtons. Definitely wasn't the the Ameraucana, as she also laid that day.

Back
Top Bottom