white eye foam

OkieRunner

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 18, 2013
Oklahoma
I introduced two new chickens two my flock last night. I got them from a trusted guy that said they weren't sick etc... I got home this afternoon to gather eggs and noticed one chicken had white foam out the corner of her eye. Im wondering if this is a battle wound from the two new hens learning the pecking order? Or if it is a disease. I immediately separated her. There is no swelling, just eye foam....help please!

at the first signs of eye foam, i give 1-2 tablespoons of raw apple cider vinegar in a gallon of water. it usually fixes the problem, if they got to much wind- that could be the cause. it could also be that your flock could be carriers of an illness- but it seems to soon for symptoms to be showing up in the new birds.

keep it quarantined and watch for eye swelling, and keep us updated.

The foam in the eye may be a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma. Watch for more symptoms (swelling of the eye or face, sneeze or cough, nasal secretions, and gasping or rattling) and keep them isolated. I might even take them back to the fellow you got them from. There are too many healthy chickens to get sick ones. Those diseases are chronic and make them carriers. If you choose to keep them and medicate them you can use Tylan, gallimycin (erythromycin,) and oxytetracycline (Terramycin,) or Duramycin 10. Here is a list of respiratory diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

It might just be an injury caused by another hen pecking at her. High levels of ammonia/dust can also cause watering or foaming of the eyes. However, keep her isolated. If it progresses, you could be dealing with a respiratory disease. Even if they looked healthy when you brought them home, they could still be harboring a disease that doesn't appear until the bird gets stressed out (like what happens when you bring them into a new place).

Back
Top Bottom