White faced black Spanish enthusiasts, come hither!

Pics
Anyone out there have White Faced Black Spanish from Urch? I would love to see pics of what I have got... really don't know what to expect or what I can tell potential adoptive parents about them. Does this strain have white faces that develop the first year? How is their temperament?

Does anyone have comments about raising this breed in a zone 5, continental climate with chilly winters?

Finally, is there any easy way to sex the chicks - at what age do you see definite differences?

Thanks for any pointers or info -
exop, in Indiana

Last edited:
I know it's not a common breed, and probably there aren't a lot of people monitoring this thread... but I'd really love it if someone out there were able to reply...

Best - exop

Last edited:
Anyone out there have White Faced Black Spanish from Urch? I would love to see pics of what I have got... really don't know what to expect or what I can tell potential adoptive parents about them. Does this strain have white faces that develop the first year? How is their temperament?

Does anyone have comments about raising this breed in a zone 5, continental climate with chilly winters?

Finally, is there any easy way to sex the chicks - at what age do you see definite differences?

Thanks for any pointers or info -
exop, in Indiana
I don't have birds from Urch, but my flock roos def started showing a diff from the pullets at 5 weeks. I banded those 2 and lo and behold, they were roos. Redded up faster than the pullets. Otherwise, I'm no help with your other questions.

Thanks! I do appreciate the info, the more I know about what to expect from these chicks, the better.

Please believe me when I say it is pretty stressful to receive an order of 25 chicks containing 13 packing peanuts (8 WFB Spanish and 5 Cubalayas), both of them breeds I have no background with, and really no clue about. Unlike the plastic kind of packing peanut, I can't simply stow them in a closet and reuse them later ...
smile.png
Being as they are cute living animals, not to mention rare breeds, for which I feel a certain responsibility. Not to mention, I am seriously out of pocket on this. So I'm now faced with the daunting task of trying to sell or rehome about $91 (in theory) worth of chicks I can't really knowledgeably answer questions about.

Sincerely, exop

Last edited:
My chicksare growing so fast! Yesterday one of the cockerels crowed! They're 2 1/2 months old. Quickest breed to crow that I've ever raised in my short chicken history. Hope eggs come in that fast! (not a single sign of females getting close to that though)

Last edited:
Oh my goodness! 2 years??? I did not know that. Mine are from 3 weeks to 3 months of age. So far it looks like 1 boy and 6 girls. But I am totally guessing. Next month it could be the other way around. It is my first time for WFBS. Will get some pics tomorrow. So far the older ones seem to be pretty mellow. Thank goodness because I heard they can be mean sometimes.

Thank you, I'm so very happy I finally have this breed. These chicks are flighty right now, but they are hardy, curious, and smart so far as well.

Concerning the white face, it can take up to two years, but I think at a year you can see it clearly on a few and developing on the rest. I think that's what Terry told me.

Oh my goodness! 2 years??? I did not know that. Mine are from 3 weeks to 3 months of age. So far it looks like 1 boy and 6 girls. But I am totally guessing. Next month it could be the other way around. It is my first time for WFBS. Will get some pics tomorrow. So far the older ones seem to be pretty mellow. Thank goodness because I heard they can be mean sometimes.
Hey Pauletta! I didn't know you had my favorite breed!?!?!? Coolness!
frow.gif

I know right! I just thought I would give them a try. I really like them. But I went outside and checked them out today and it looks like all girls. Hmmmmm just my luck. I'm gonna need a roo. I may have to have one shipped. I will wait a little longer and see if any of these turn out to be a roo.

That sounds wonderful! Thank you, I so need a vacation. Chicken talk, good food, good drinks, good friends, and FLORIDA would be heaven!
Half way would be Alabama. No offense to Alabama but I would love to come to Florida. LOL

Back
Top Bottom