White faced black Spanish enthusiasts, come hither!

Pics
I saw this same question recently on Facebook. Why does the size of an egg, pullet or hen, make a difference? You have me wondering about hatching them and when is best.

I forgot to post here! I keep getting the Spanish thread and this one confused!
Evening photo shoot with de girls!

I forgot to post here! I keep getting the Spanish thread and this one confused! Evening photo shoot with de girls!
Sally, ur birds are gorgeous! Do you do anything special in the winter to keep them warm? I like the breed, but worry about frostbite. I'm just over the PA/NY border. How did your birds do this past winter? Their combs all look clean and beautiful.

Quote: Thanks, I love this breed, I can sit with them all day. I love messing with the roo, I have never had such a smart roo, he gets so mad when the hens come to me when I sit, I know he is swearing at them!! ha ha ha
I made a video once when I was sitting in there, but y'all would laugh at me the way I cackle with him and the girls. It amuses me to get him fired up. Ever since I snipped his spurs he has started talking! I guess I would too the way they bleed!! OUCH!

No heat at all, HOWEVER we had a 90 watt bulb for the sake of lighting 14 hrs, other than that they have plenty of ventilation, I didnt do anything to combs. Not a spot on them, when the CCL next door to them had ended up loosing their tips :( They key is ventilation, the CCL obviously needed alot more, if you think you have enough ventilation, add a tad more! seriously!

I ferment feed and give them corn when its really cold. I dont let them out when its windy and in the teens, I am very cautious of the cold AND wind combined, so they stay cooped up durng those times, they dont mind it when I give them a head of cabage or just throw corn in the coop.

Thanks, I love this breed, I can sit with them all day.  I love messing with the roo, I have never had such a smart roo, he gets so mad when the hens come to me when I sit, I know he is swearing at them!! ha ha ha
I made a video once when I was sitting in there, but y'all would laugh at me the way I cackle with him and the girls.  It amuses me to get him fired up.  Ever since I snipped his spurs he has started talking!  I guess I would too the way they bleed!! OUCH!  

No heat at all, HOWEVER we had a 90 watt bulb for the sake of lighting 14 hrs, other than that they have plenty of ventilation, I didnt do anything to combs.  Not a spot on them, when the CCL next door to them had ended up loosing their tips :(  They key is ventilation, the CCL obviously needed alot more, if you think you have enough ventilation, add a tad more! seriously!  

I ferment feed and give them corn when its really cold. I dont let them out when its windy and in the teens, I am very cautious of the cold AND wind combined, so they stay cooped up durng those times, they dont mind it when I give them a head of cabage or just throw corn in the coop.  

Thanks for the info! They sound like wonderful birds!!

Back
Top Bottom