White faced black Spanish enthusiasts, come hither!

Pics
I just hatched 5 beautiful WFBS babies. I say, "I did," but my two bantam cochins did all the work.
jumpy.gif
They're raising all 5 now too! Here's my question. Have you figured out anyway to sex these little ones? Everything I've read says it's impossible to sex bantams...but WHY? Looking at my 5 biddies, I can tell that 2 of them have different wings. I've also tried vent sexing, but I'm not sure WHAT I'm looking at.
idunno.gif

My 5 babies each have a different mama and either one of two daddies, so maybe the wings are just specific to which father they have.

Still looking for a rooster, but looks like I'll have to start over with eggs or hatchery chicks. Guess breeding is out for this season. Although I am tempted to put one of my Spanish imported Andalusian roosters with them just to see what I get.

Last edited:
I have the pleasure, and pressure, of owing SallySunshine's flock of WFBS - as of tonight, lol. I had a starter flock from her chicks that I purchased this fall, and added her breeders to that, along with some hatching eggs. I"m in love with the breed, and her adult rooster is absolutely stunning. I have never bred chickens to any sort of Standard, just my own egg basket and lawn candy, so now the pressure is on!

Still looking for a rooster, but looks like I'll have to start over with eggs or hatchery chicks. Guess breeding is out for this season. Although I am tempted to put one of my Spanish imported Andalusian roosters with them just to see what I get.
I will be getting my first eggs on the 18th. I can't wait to see what hatches. I am expecting to pick up 15 of the Spanish. I doesn't do you any good right now, but if I have extra roos I will be looking for folks who need them.

I have the pleasure, and pressure, of owing SallySunshine's flock of WFBS - as of tonight, lol. I had a starter flock from her chicks that I purchased this fall, and added her breeders to that, along with some hatching eggs. I"m in love with the breed, and her adult rooster is absolutely stunning. I have never bred chickens to any sort of Standard, just my own egg basket and lawn candy, so now the pressure is on!
Nothing like a little pressure. Good luck. As I said above, I will be getting my first Spanish so I will be stalking/posting on this thread soon. I am sure I will need advice on the breed.
frow.gif

I never intended on having chickens until my husband came home from work one day last fall with two roosters that someone wanted to get rid of. He just turned the two little guys out and threw them some corn because that's what the man getting rid of them suggested. They ended up roosting on my front porch. They never ventured far and had an excellent temperament. We ended up building them a house that they could roost in. And during the very bitter winter, I learned how to pick up a rooster, and I brought them both in to roost in my garage! We sort of formed a bond! I loved watching them forage through our yard. I found myself reading books about keeping chickens and building coops!
We have 4 goats as well. One day in May when our goats got out, we lost one of the roosters. We don't know if he followed the goats into the forest and got lost, or if he was taken by a predator. When we found the goats he was not with them. I didn't realize how attached I had actually become. I wept! In the meantime, we have built a coop and have decided to get some hens. Anyway...this is my boy, Luke. The man that was getting rid of him and his brother said that he was a Blue Rosecomb. Clearly he does not have a rosecomb. He looks like a WFBS to me. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom